OpenWetWare steering committee/SC retreat/actions
< OpenWetWare steering committee | SC retreat
Actions from the retreat
- Hardware: Need plan to move to new hardware and server configuration w/in 12 months.
- Jay Copeland suggests having a backup machine that's synch'd every night and that is ready to go online in a snap (i.e., DNS worked out ahead of time). Also need to protect the building against "slashdoting" and so on (i.e., need a hosting site that will keep OWW from becoming a DNS focal point for building 68). These points are serious enough that they need to be resolved ASAP.
- Hardware Support: Need plan to support hardware and software.
- Should involve some basic IT support, and support for a development environment. Even something as simple as updating the MediaWiki software requires that somebody back-check that our existing OWW extensions work.
- need a server on a 12 month time-scale,
- and inplace backup mechanism
- easy switch to
- Consider filing trademark applications on "OpenWetWare" in US (and perhaps UK, EU, China, India, and Japan)?
- Look up other sister wiki's and link to them, have on sign-up page, "maybe this wiki's better for you? want to set up your own wiki.. guidelines. John to do.
- set up a page of case studies, FAQ of people that we didn't allow accounts. and why? e.g physics lab, highschool students, companies, John to do
- Develop longer term stable organization structure for OWW including consideration of officers, advisors, bylaws and so on.
- by the weekend, up for two weeks - bylaws to appear on front page, (John, Barry) Look at how others are set up. e.g Majority vote by stearing committee. to include:
- 6 month terms.
- be more clear on donations, link to MIT.
- donations, Tax exempt, affiliation with MIT.
- Set up roles on the site, and jobs to do, and actions.
- make sure e.g stearing committee is not in position to sell the website.
- MIT hosted?
- elections two weeks time, open for one week. Jason to org.
- John to set up drop down tasks and actions list.
- novel publication group formed
- John, Julius, Drew, Jason
- ACTIONS: to present proposal on novel publishing to next SC meeting
- August 10th,
- can we use the money for other things, core care and feeding money.
- e.g %65 direct costs
- collaborations with all publishing houses.
- they want exploratory channel and want to know what the inter
- OWW is considering a novel publication channel and is currently looking to partner with publishing houses
- Drew, Jason
- Consider establishing organizational recognition w/in MIT. This would include gaining an MIT account (for donation purposes).
- Need to get funding to recruit and hire Director of OWW (and OWW staff) to provide relief to current student leadership.
- Comments to Ponder:
In five years, Mac OS XIV will likely have iWiki(TM) software pre-installed on every machine, et cetera. How does the impact what we need to do?