Phenylalanine (Phe, F) ("Fenylalanine")
- a hydrophobic and aromatic amino acid
- a phenol derived aspartate acid precursor
- a ligand for the synthesis of aspartame when combined to acesulfame.
- a "phenylketonuric" compound associated to PKU or phenylketonuria disease, a group of symptoms associated to mental retardation and cognitive impairments in the brain, where excess phenylalanine is converted to a ketone in the CNS periphery (Central Nervous System).
- compound is found in diet drinks (ie Diet Mountain Dew) as a building block for Aspartame
- compound is a natural Auxin precursor: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~bot.512/lectures/auxin_metabolism.pdf
- Potassium benzoate