(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 07:14, 27 August 2007
Components of overall course grade
||Percentage of final grade
|Final formal report
|Oscilloscope and Lab 1
||0% (practice grading for Labs 2-6)
|Labs 2 - 6 (graded on written work and oral defense)
||75% (each lab equal portion)
|Attendance, completion of assignments, helpfulness and demeanor in the lab
Attendence, assignments, helpfulness
- Gain experience in writing a research paper
- Measurable: Producing a complete report on a lab experiment, written in the style of a research paper.
- Demonstrate diligence in keeping an electronic lab notebook
- Measurable: Koch or Hjelm able to read notebook on OWW and clearly follow everything that was done.
- Gain experience in setting up and debugging experiments
- Measurable: Able to fix an apparatus after Koch or Hjelm come over and mess it up
- Demonstrate ability to properly use other's work and give credit
- Measurable: In formal report, all necessary references included
- Measurable: In wiki lab notebook: record of all important conversations and who did what ("Koch said ..." "Devon showed me ..." "It didn't work until a classmate (___) showed me how to wire up the capacitor in parallel...")
- Gain experience in taking high quality data
- Measurable: Able to orally defend quality of data and explain possible sources of error.
- Gain experience in analyzing and processing data
- Measurable: Able to electronically fit a line to data (least squares, maximum likelihood); others important (TBD)
- Gain experience in how to report measurements meaningfully
- Measurable: All final measurements reported with error bars.
- Experience the excitement of measuring fundamental physics quantities
- Measurable: Able to explain orally how these measurements were first obtained, and what new information was revealed at the time.
- Measurable: Able to explain orally and in writing how the experiment uses fundamental physics to reveal some parameter (such as e/m ratio for an electron). Memorizing formulas not necessary.