Everyone, please feel free to add new questions or messages at the top of the page.
- Posting a message!-Alex
- Looking forward to this semester! -Kirstin
- I forgot what message to post! -Richard
- It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to edit this page. I am not very good at this yet. Why isn't there an edit link right next to it? How would I go about adding a contents box to the top of my Course Page? - Roberto Sebastian Rosales
Welcome to Junior Lab!
Steve Koch says: Welcome to Junior Lab, it was great meeting you on Monday! As I mentioned during lecture, there is an assignment due before Monday August 30. The purpose of the assignment is to get you accustomed to the wiki so you can focus on the labs the remaining weeks. See this page for the assignment:
Physics307L:Assignments/Wiki assignment 1
Katie (the TA) and I will be in lab again on Wednesday and even if you're in the Monday section, please feel free to come by lab on Wednesday this week if you want extra wiki help. Additionally, you can contact me to setup another time to meet during the week if you'd like help with the wiki editing or to discuss anything.
Also as a reminder, we will not have class during the Labor Day week.
In addition to the above wiki assignment, you should click around on the other parts of the wiki. It would be good if you take a look at the course goals. If you have opinions about the goals, post a message about it on the talk page! Or on this "interactions" page.
Best wishes for a great semester and welcome!
Some possibly useful posts from last year
Excel sheets for the weighted mean / random number generation lecture
Steve Koch 19:01, 17 November 2008 (EST): I've uploaded the excel sheet for today's class. You can find them here: Physics307L:Schedule/Week_13_agenda#Supporting_Excel_sheets
Summer Research Opportunities
Steve Koch 10:37, 8 November 2008 (EST): Among an amazing array of very cool physics education things I am learning about, I learned of a good resource for finding summer research opportunities for undergraduates: COMPADRE summer research.
- Manuel 12:38 am, 15 Nov 2008 (EDT): Hey yeah, this is a pretty cool site! There are some pretty good summer research opportunities. How competitive are they?
- Steve Koch 13:58, 15 November 2008 (EST): They are somewhat competitive, but I think you would have a good shot. It would be important to find one where you'd enjoy spending the summer. You can email the adminstrators of programs you are interested in to ask for more info. I'm happy to answer more questions too! Summer research can be a lot of fun and is a great way to get experience, build your resume, and figure out whether you'd enjoy a research career.
Fitting a line
Steve Koch 01:21, 4 November 2008 (EST): I uploaded the excel sheet from today's class, and you can find it on this page. I am very interested in hearing if you find this excel sheet or today's lecture helpful. Please post comments here, or email me!
Link to previous years