Short to medium length (up to 120 bp) fragments of dsDNA can be generated directly from two complementary single-stranded oligonucleotides. Custom overhangs for ligation or In-Fusion can be introduced as well, simply by having some non-complementary ends. The two single-stranded Oligos then need to be annealed into a double-stranded fragment.
- Silver lab protocol (using water bath): Silver:_Oligonucleotide_Inserts
- brief mentioning in Li & Elledge SLIC paper 
- Web protocol
The idea is to heat up the mixture to close to 100 C and let it slowly cool down to room temperature over the course of one hour.
- 10x annealing buffer, final (1x) concentration: 10mM Tris-HCl, 50mM NaCl
- closest match is NEB Buffer 2 (1x: 10mM TrisHCl, 50mM NaCl, 10mM MgCl2, 1mM DTT)
- step 1
- step 2
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
raik: We are just starting to use this protocol -- share your experience!
- Li MZ and Elledge SJ. . pmid:17293868.
or instead, discuss this protocol.