Preparing chemically competent cells (Inoue)
Glassware & equipment
- 2 liter erlenmeyer flask (no detergent residue, rinse with 70% ethanol and DI water)
- 220 ml conical centrifuge tubes BD 35 2075
- Eppendorf 5410R refrigerated centrifuge with conical adapters
- Pick a 10 - 12 large single colonies (2-3 mm dia) from your source plate and inoculate 500 ml of sterile SOB medium (do not use LB) in a 2 liter flask.
- Grow to an OD of 0.6 with vigorous shaking (200-250 rpm) at 18 degrees (important)
- Prechill the centrifuge to 4 degrees
- Remove from the incubator and place on ice for 10 minutes
- Transfer to two 220 ml centrifuge tubes and spin at 3220 x g for 10 minutes at 4 degrees
- Drain the medium and resuspend each pellet first in 5 ml of ice cold TB. Add an additional 75 ml of cold TB buffer and resuspend.
- Place on ice for 10 minutes
- Spin down as above.
- Resuspend each pellet in 20 ml of cold TB
- Add DMSO to a final concentration of 7%
- Incubate on ice for 10 minutes
- Dispense cells into pre-chilled tubes
- Freeze cells in a dry ice / ethanol bath and store at -80 degrees indefinitely
Related topics & references
- Preparing chemically competent cells
- Preparing TSS buffer
- Transforming chemically competent cells
- Preparing electrocompetent cells
- TB buffer
- Transforming chemically competent cells (Inoue)
- Bacterial cell culture
Original protocol from Inoue et al. .
Error fetching PMID 2265755:
- Error fetching PMID 2265755: