- Plate of cells streaked for single colonies
- TB buffer
- Dry Ice (or liquid nitrogen)
Glassware & equipment
- 2 liter erlenmeyer flask (no detergent residue, rinse with 70% ethanol and DI water)
- 220 ml conical centrifuge tubes BD 35 2075
- Eppendorf 5410R refrigerated centrifuge with conical adapters
- Pick a 10 - 12 large single colonies (2-3 mm dia) from your source plate and inoculate 500 ml of sterile SOB medium (do not use LB) in a 2 liter flask. Save some medium as an OD blank.
- Grow to an OD of 0.6 with vigorous shaking (200-250 rpm) at 18 degrees (important). This is slow -- approximately 35-40 hours.
- Prechill the centrifuge to 4 degrees
- Remove from the incubator and place on ice for 10 minutes
- Transfer to two 220 ml centrifuge tubes and spin at 3220 x g for 10 minutes at 4 degrees
- Drain the medium and resuspend each pellet first in 5 ml of ice cold TB. Add an additional 75 ml of cold TB buffer and resuspend.
- Place on ice for 10 minutes
- Spin down as above.
- While spinning, add 1.4 ml of DMSO to 18.6 ml of TB (7% DMSO mixture)
- Resuspend each pellet in 20 ml of cold TB-DMSO mixture
- Incubate on ice for 10 minutes
- Dispense cells into pre-chilled tubes
- Freeze cells in a dry ice / ethanol bath and store at -80 degrees indefinitely
Related topics & references
Original protocol from Inoue et al. . Useful comments and speculation about reducing agents in .
- Inoue H, Nojima H, and Okayama H. . pmid:2265755.
- Hengen PN. . pmid:8851666.