- Work smart, work hard, or both.
- Work on projects you are excited about.
- Learning and developing new skills is a part of research.
- Help others around you, including non-lab members.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Live the Lab Philosophy
- As much as possible, be in/around the lab between 9am - 4pm.
- To promote good science and lab aesthetic, keep things clean and organized.
- Undergraduates: apply for ORCA in the Fall and URA each semester
- expected for salaried students
- recommended for volunteers
- Graduate students: TA the equivalent of a 20hr semester per year.
- allows the lab funds to go further
- gives the student valuable experience
Consider the following addendum to article "Engineering and characterization of a superfolder green fluorescent protein" from nature biotechnology.
Retraction: Identification of genes that function in the TNF-α-mediated apoptotic pathway using randomized hybrid ribozyme libraries.
Hiroaki Kawasaki, Reiko Onuki, Eigo Suyama & Kazunari Taira "Nat. Biotechnol." 20, 376–380 (2002)
Although the gene discovery technology described in this paper has been demonstrated to have practical utility by several independent researchers, the first author of the paper failed to maintain a proper data notebook to support the results presented. As this constitutes nonadherence to the ethical standards in scientific research, and in accordance with the recommendations from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science & Technology (AIST), R. Onuki, E. Suyami and K. Taira respectfully retract this paper. H. Kawasaki declines to associate himself with this retraction and maintains that all the data contained in the paper are valid (emphasis added).
- Doctoral Candidates
- One 1st author publication in a top-tier journal (Nature, Science, Cell or PNAS)
- One or more 1st or 2nd author publications as needed to graduate
- Undergraduates (Salaried)
- One 1st author publication or two 2nd author publications
- Undergraduates (Volunteer)
- 1st or 2nd author on a publication
* 2nd author means any authorship besides 1st author