|This page is a template and should not be edited.|
Click here, copy the source, and paste it into your page.
Interested in posting a protocol on OpenWetWare? Here is a template to help you do so.
Click the view source tab and copy everything below this line. Paste it into your new protocol page. Then replace the text in this page with your own protocol. Feel free to add or delete sections as appropriate.
This is a protocol designed for T-regulatory assay for Mouse allergen (Mus m1) study.
List reagents, supplies and equipment necessary to perform the protocol here. For those materials which have their own OWW pages, link to that page. Alternatively, links to the suppliers' page on that material are also appropriate.
- supply 1 (i.e. tubes of a certain size? spreaders?)
- reagent 1
- X μL reagent 2
- component A (reagent 2 is made up of multiple components)
- component B
- equipment 1
- equipment 2
Isolation of Mononuclear Cells
- This is a sterile procedure and all steps should be performed in a hood.
- Turn on the hood. Bring Ficoll and PBS to room temperature in the hood.
- Obtain whole blood specimens collected in sodium heparin (green top) collection tubes and record subjects information, i.e. ID#, date collected, date received.
- If performing Basophil Activation Assay on this sample, set aside 3mL of whole blood before the next step.
- Dilute the remaining blood at 1:1 with PBS in a 50mL conical tube.
- Place 15mL of Ficoll in a 50mL conical tube. Overlay with up to 30mL of diluted blood, gently add the blood on the ficoll solution to avoid of blood with ficoll solution.
- Centrifuge @ 500g for 30minutes @ room temperature (slow acceleration, deceleration off to ensure no disruption of the density gradient).
- Using a sterile transfer pipette, aspirate the buffy coat (peripheral blood mononuclear cells [PBMCs]) into a new 50mL conical tube (avoid aspirating the ficoll). Add PBS into the 50mL tube to bring the sample to a minimum of 2X the initial volume. Invert up and down gently to mix.
- Centrifuge @ 500g for 20minutes @ room temperature (maximum acceleration and deceleration).
- Aspirate and discard the supernatant. Resuspend the cell pellet first by tapping the tube until no clumps are visible, then adding 1mL of PBS. Set aside a 10μl aliquot of cells for counting as follows: Add 90μl of PBS into the 10μl of cells.
- Add PBS to the cells in the 50mL tube for a total volume of 20mL, and centrifuge @ 300g for 15 minutes @ room temperature(maximum acceleration and deceleration).
- In order to determine the volume to use for resuspending the PBMCs after the wash, the total number of cells in the sample must be determined. Combine the 100μL aliquot of cells in PBS set aside above with 100μL of 0.2% Trypan solution (if using the automated counter) or 0.4% Trypan solution (if manual counting). Mix well with pipette.
- Carefully, introduce 10μL of the stained cells into the notch of a hemocytometer and record cell counts using a hand-held counter. Count the number of cells under a microscope or place 20μL of the stained cells onto a disposable slide and count using the automated counter.
- After centrifugation is completed, aspirate and discard the supernatant. Resuspend the cell pellet by tapping the tube until no clumps are visible. Suspend PBMCs with PBS @ 10 million cells/mL in a 15mL conical tube.
PBMC Antigen Stimulation Assay
*This is a sterile procedure and all steps should be performed in a hood.
- Remove stimulants from the freezer and thaw.
- Label 24 well plate with specimen ID and date (this is for the 7 days cell culture). Label each well with the appropriate stimulant condition, ordered by priority (for cases where there are insufficient cells to test all stimulants).
- Musm1 (allergen): @ 200μg/mL purified Musm1 protein in Aim-V.
- AIM-V + IL-2 (negative control): AIM-V + IL-2 medium alone.
- Beads (positive control): 1μg/mL anti-Cd3/Cd28 beads.
- Tetanus: 200μg/mL tetanus in AIM-V.
- Add an equal volume (1:1 dilution) of freshly prepared 10μM CFSE (in PBS) to the tube of cells. To make 1.5mL of PBS + CFSE (2x solutin): add 3μL of stock CFSE (5mM) into 1.5mL of PBS.
- Incubate in 37deg;C water bath for 10 minutes.
- After incubation, wash the CFSE stained cells in 10mL of AIM-V @ 300g for 10 minutes. Aspirate supernatant after centrifugation.
- Resuspend CFSE stained cells in AIM-V medium @ 4 million cells/mL. For plating, each well should contain 2 milliion cells/mL.
- Begin the stimulation process by preparing AIM-V medium + a 2X solution of IL-2 by adding 2μL of IL-2 per mL of medium in a 15mL conical tube. For 5 stimulant conditions, you will need atleast 2.5mL of AIM-V + IL-2. Vortex gently.
- Prepare solutions for each stimulant condition in 5 mL PP tubes as follows:
- AIM-V+IL-2 medium alone: place 500μL of AIM-V+IL-2 in the appropriately labeled tube and add 500μL of cells in AIM-V+IL-2. Pipette up and down and plate.
- 1μg/mL anti-CD3, anti-CD28 beads in AIM-V+IL-2: place 500μL of AIM-V in the appropriately labeled tube and add 2.5μL of CD3, CD28 expander beads. Then add 500μL of cells in AIM-V+IL-2. Pipette up and down and plate.
- 200μg/mL MusM1 in AIM-V+IL-2: place 450μL of AIM-V+IL-2 in the appropriately labeled tube and add 50μL of allergen (MusM1). Then add 500μL of cells in AIM-V+IL-2 + allergen. Pipette up and down, and plate.
- 200μg/mL tetanus in AIM-V+IL-2: place 475μL of AIM-V+IL-2 in the appropriately labeled tube and add 25μL of tetanus. Then add 500μL of cells in AIM-V+IL-2. Pipette up and down and plate.
- Place the tissue culture plate in the 37°C CO2 incubator for 7 days.
COLLECTION OF SUPERNATANTS
- Cell culture supernatants will be collected for cytokine measurement for 2 or 7 days cultures.
- At day 7, collect cells carefully by pipetting up and down to resuspend cells in the well, and
transfer the total volume in each well into separate 5ml polystyrene tubes. Rinse each well
with 200μl of staining buffer and add to corresponding PS tubes. Tap gently to mix.
- Centrifuge tubes at 300g for 5 minutes at 25°C temperature.
- Obtain a cluster tube rack for the storage of supernatants.
- Label cluster tubes as follows:
- Specimen ID
- Supernatants - 7 day
- Stimulant condition 1-4
- Stimulant 1 = MusM1
- Stimulant 2 = AIM-V
- Stimulant 3 = Beads
- Stimulant 4 = Tetanus Toxoid
- For each stimulant, using a 1000μL pipette tip, transfer 800μL of supernatant from the PS culture tube into each corresponding cluster tube in the cluster rack. Be careful not to disturb the cell pellets.
- Cap the cluster tubes and store in the –80oC freezer (by the freight elevators).
T REGULATORY CELL SURFACE STAINING
- After the collection of supernatants according to the Collection of Supernatants Protocol. Resuspend cells in 80μL of cell separation buffer.
- Add 1mL of staining buffer to each tube and vortex.
- Wash cells at 300 g for 5 minutes at 4°C. Decant supernatant.
- Add 1mL of staining buffer to each tube and vortex.
- Wash cells at 300 g for 10 minutes at 4°C. Decant supernatant.
- Prepare cocktail preparation according to the T REGULATORY CELL SURFACE STAINING; Materials. Add 50μL of cocktail to each tube.
- Incubate @ 4°C for 20-30 minutes.
- Add 3mL of staining buffer to each tube and vortex.
- Wash at 300 g for 10 minutes at 4°C. Decant supernatant.
- At this point in the experiment, one can fix/freeze the cells or continue with Intracellular cytokine staining.
- To fix/freeze the cells, pipette 500μl of 1X Facs Lysis Buffer into each tube and incubate @ 25°C in the dark for 15 minutes. After the incubation, pipette 500μl of the 20% DMSO + PBS solution into each tube.
- Transfer the 1ml of cells + 1X Facs Lysis Buffer + 20% DMSO/PBS solution into an appropriately labeled cluster tubes, and freeze at -80°C until when you are ready to conduct Intracellular cytokine staining..
- To Intracellular Cytokine stain the cell with Fox P3, prepare a Fix/Perm working solution as follow: dilute the Fix/Perm Concentrate (1 part) into the Fix/Perm Diluent (3 parts) to the desired volume of working solution (1mL per tube).
- Resuspend cell pellet with pulse vortex and add 1mL of Fix/Perm buffer to each sample tube.
Pulse vortex again.
- Incubate at 4°C for 30-60 minutes in the dark (preferably for 60 minutes if possible).
Wash for 10 minutes at 800 g x 2 (4°C) with 2mL of 1X Perm Buffer (made from 10X solution using dH2O). Decant supernatant.
- Add 20μL of Foxp3 antibody into 100μL of 1X Perm Buffer. Incubate for at least 30 minutes (45
minutes if possible) at 4°C.
- Wash at 800 g for 10 minutes x 2 with 2mL 1X Perm Buffer. Decant supernatant. Vortex and acquire using the Flow machine at 17-40.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- List troubleshooting tips here.
- You can also link to FAQs/tips provided by other sources such as the manufacturer or other websites.
- Anecdotal observations that might be of use to others can also be posted here.
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
Relevant papers and books
Error fetching PMID 13718526:
- Who has experience with this protocol?
or instead, discuss this protocol.