Quantitative Biology of the Living Cell
Prof Jenna Rickus email@example.com
Assignments and Class Schedule
In Class. Go over syllabus, course goals, openwetware, and software
Assignment. complete before next week.
- Create an account on Openwetware
- Read the wiki help on openwetware
- Create your own wiki page that links to this course page. Name your page "Biol295F_LASTNAME"
- Download and Install Systems Biology Workbench and Cell Designer
- Start reading NIH Stem Cell Basics
- Quest Speaker. 5 minutes. Jennifer Nordland. Soybean Competition
- Frit-O-Lay Visit. 10 minutes
- Big Picture: Cellular Engineering
Look up one of these 6 entities. Report on the who, what, where, when, and how of what these companies do. What is their status today?
Biobricks Foundation (Cambridge Mass), Blue Heron Biotechnology (Bothel Washington), Amyris Biotechnologies (Emeryville, CA), Codon Devices (Cambridge, Mass), Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution (Gainesville, FL), Synthetic Genomics (Rockville, Md)
1 page written. 5 minutes oral to the class.
Due next week.
Stem Cell Biology
Policy and Ethics
- U.S. Policy on Use of Stem Cells. NIH link
- Article arguing for a code of ethics for Biological Engineers. IBE code of ethics
Web of Science- for literature review
PubMed - for literature review
Entrez - quick keyword based search across literature, protein, gene, etc databases simultaneously
link to Genbank - "GenBank® is the NIH genetic sequence database, an annotated collection of all publicly available DNA sequences"
Class Discussion Board
post any comments, questions etc. here