Quantitative Biology of the Living Cell
Prof Jenna Rickus firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is an introduction to cellular engineering.
Assignments and Class Schedule
In Class. Go over syllabus, course goals, openwetware, and software
Assignment. complete before next week.
- Create an account on Openwetware
- Read the wiki help on openwetware
- Create your own wiki page that links to this course page. Name your page "Biol295F_LASTNAME"
- Download and Install Systems Biology Workbench and Cell Designer
- Start reading NIH Stem Cell Basics
- Quest Speaker. 5 minutes. Jennifer Nordland. Soybean Competition
- Frit-O-Lay Visit. 10 minutes
- Big Picture: Cellular Engineering
Look up one of these 6 entities. Report on the who, what, where, when, and how of what these companies do. What is their status today?
Biobricks Foundation (Cambridge Mass), Blue Heron Biotechnology (Bothel Washington), Amyris Biotechnologies (Emeryville, CA), Codon Devices (Cambridge, Mass), Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution (Gainesville, FL), Synthetic Genomics (Rockville, Md)
1 page written. 5 minutes oral to the class.
Due next week.
- Student reports from last week's assignment
- test of email list
- continue cellular engineering slides
- begin stem cells
- stem cell policy
- introduce bioethics essay assignment
- Begin CellDesigner
Due next week: a typed outline or listing of your thoughts regarding "do biological engineers need a code of ethics?"
- Dr. Rickus' rules of writing :)
- Create a CellDesigner model of glycolysis
- One on one - go over last weeks graded writing assignments
Due next week: a first draft of your essay regarding "do biological engineers need a code of ethics?"
Stem Cell Biology
Policy and Ethics
- U.S. Policy on Use of Stem Cells. NIH link
- Article arguing for a code of ethics for Biological Engineers. IBE code of ethics
- AAAS Report on Stem Cell Policy and Ethics 
Web of Science- for literature review
PubMed - for literature review
Entrez - quick keyword based search across literature, protein, gene, etc databases simultaneously
link to Genbank - "GenBank® is the NIH genetic sequence database, an annotated collection of all publicly available DNA sequences"
BioModels Database this site is a searchable database of published annotated models. These models can be accessed and used within CellDesigner
Class Discussion Board
post any comments, questions etc. here