Raj Lab:Lab Rules
Some basic lab etiquette
Here's a list of some basic rules for the lab. Many are drawn from "At the Bench" as well as my own personal experience. Feel free to add your own!
- Do not use other people's reagents and buffers without permission.
- Always replace common reagents if you finish them. If you finish off something, be sure to replace it right away.
- Do not use other people's pipettes and consumables without permission.
- No eating or drinking in the lab. Can lead to a big fine.
- Do not touch door handles or computers with gloves on. Computers designated to be glove compatible are excepted.
- Please clean the microscope up after use, especially the oil. Leaving oil on the objective can degrade its performance.
- If something goes wrong, let someone know. Mistakes happen, just be sure to let people know so that we can deal with it.
- Respond to alarms. If there is an alarm (say, -80C malfunction), see if you can resolve the issue. If not, tell someone else about the alarm.
- Make sure the cell culture hood is clean after you use it. Make sure to remove all used tips, etc. and also to keep the areas near the vents clear, since their operation is crucial to maintaining a sterile environment.