Gaps to Mind
Please use this space to suggest and describe new or existing gaps, needs or issues in our practice of synthetic biology. Please add any relevant information, articles, contacts or other resources.
We intend to use this space to seed, prioritize and sustain a list of 'Top 10 gaps' in our practice of synthetic biology for this group - and others - to consider, discuss, and work towards addressing. We ideally hope to produce from the discussions documented and materials collected here a series of simple, digestible co-authored papers summarizing each gap, current practices, open questions, and recommendations for moving forward.
Gap Seed List
(all of these need to be refined)
- Emergence of DIY & Implications for Safety, Security - Should there be similar expectations of responsible conduct between institutional and non-institutional actors?
- Preparedness for Syn Bio-Labeled Accidents - Do we have a community response plan? Who will be held accountable?
- Developing Trust in a World of Profits and Secrets - How can we be ambassadors for biosafety when we do not have knowledge of research ongoing at private companies and in secure govt labs?
- FactCheck.org for synthetic biology as recommended by the PCSBI
- Property Rights Frameworks for Synthetic Biology
- Testing Engineered Biological Designs in the 'Real World' - What are appropriate risk assessment frameworks for intentional & unintentional environmental release?
- Identifying useful/relevant problems