Sack: Plating Subclones for Ephys
Plating subclones for electrophysiological testing
For every 12 colonies picked, you will need:
15 ml appropriate selecting media
24 ml media + 1 ug/ml tetracycline
1 TC-treated 12-well plate
12 TC-treated 35 mm dishes
1 25 ml serological pipet
15 200 ul pipet tips (3 rows of 12)
200 ul pipetor
waste box for pipet tips
1. Choose 12 wells on the 96-well plate that contain one colony. Choose from the lowest density plate first.
2. Remove media from selected wells, rinse once with 200ul PBS, then add 50 ul trypsin. Watch to see when cells detach.
3. While cells are trypsinizing: put 1 ml media in each well of 12-well plate put 2 ml media with tetracycline in a 35 mm tissue culture treated dish mark each well and dish with name of a chosen well from the 96 well plate
4. Once cells detach, to each well add 200ul of media triturate 5x to suspend cells and remove 200ul suspension plate one drop of suspension in appropriately marked 35mm tissue culture dish. place rest of cells in appropriate well of 12 well plate
5. Add 200 ul media to picked wells of 96-well plate, this makes a backup from straggling cells.
6. Place cells in incubator, patch clamp cells in 35 mm dishes 1-2 days later
- Return to Sack:Protocols