Shreffler:JAX Tcell studies
This is a protocol designed for characterizing the mouse allergen (Mus m1)-specific T cell phenotype during the JAX study.
- On average, 18mL of whole heparinized blood/patient will be given.
- target to isolate 8 x 106 (8 million) cells for 48 hour culture
- Phosphate buffered saline (PBS)
- Ficoll Paque Plus [Endotoxin tested], room temperature.
- Staining buffer (PBS + 5g BSA/L + 2mM EDTA)
- Sterile phosphate buffered saline (PBS), room temperature
- AIM V Media (w/HSA). Invitrogen # 0870112DK (Expires 1 month after opening)
- Cluster tubes or Cryovial tubes and racks.
- Turk Blood Diluting Fluid (RICCA # 8850-16).
- Sterile conical tubes (15mL, 50mL)
- CD3, CD28 expander beads (Invitrogen 111-61D)
- Sterile, graduated transfer pipettes.
- Mus M1 (50μL) aliquot tube.
- A solution of 20% DMSO + PBS.
- Hemocytometer or disposable slides for the automated counter or manual counter
- 50 mL Accuspin tubes, radiation sterilized. (Sigma #A-2055)
- Sterile 5mL polypropylene round-bottom tubes
- β-mercaptoethanol (Sigma #M7522)
- RLT lysis buffer (Qiagen, #79216)
Isolation of Mononuclear Cells
This is a sterile procedure and all steps should be performed in a hood.
- Turn on the hood. Bring Ficoll and PBS to 20°C in the hood.
- Obtain whole blood specimens collected in sodium heparin (green top) collection tubes and record subject information, i.e. ID #, date collected, date received.
- If performing Basophil Activation assay on this sample, set aside 3mL of whole blood.
- Place 15 mL of Ficoll in a 50 mL accuspin conical tube. Centrifuge at 800 g for 1 minute.
- Dilute remaining blood at 1:1 with PBS in 50 mL conical tubes.
- Add up to 30mL of diluted blood to the accuspin tube.
- Centrifuge at 500 g for 30 minutes at room temperature (slow acceleration, deceleration off to ensure no disruption of the density gradient).
- Using a sterile transfer pipette, aspirate the buffy coat (peripheral blood mononuclear cells [PBMCs]) into a new 50mL conical tube. (Avoid aspirating the Ficoll.) Add PBS to bring to a minimum of 2x the volume, inverting up and down to mix.
- Centrifuge at 500 g for 20 minutes at room temperature (maximum acceleration and deceleration).
- Aspirate and discard the supernatant. Resuspend the cell pellet first by tapping the tube until no clumps are visible, then adding PBS for a total volume of 1 mL. Set aside a 10 µL aliquot of cells for counting as follows: place the 10 μL of cells into 90 µL of PBS, and add 100 µL of Turk's Solution. Mix well, and let it sit for 1 minute before counting.
- Add 19 mL of AIM-V to the cells in 990 μL to make a total volume of ~20 mL and centrifuge at 300 g for 15 minutes at room temperature (maximum acceleration and deceleration).
- In order to determine the volume to use for resuspending the PBMCs after the wash, the total number of cells in the sample must be determined.
- Carefully introduce 10 μL of the stained cells into the notch of a hemocytometer and record cell counts using a hand-held counter. Calculate the number of cells, taking into account the dilution factors and sample volume used. Or place 20 µL of the stained cells onto a disposable slide and count using the automated cell counter.
- After centrifugation is completed, aspirate and discard the supernatant. Resuspend the cell pellet by tapping the tube until no clumps are visible. Suspend PBMCs with PBS at 10 x 106/ml in 15 ml PP conical tube.
- Remove stimulants from the freezer and thaw.
- Label 5 mL sterile polypropylene tubes, each well with the appropriate stimulant condition, ordered by priority (for cases where there are insufficient cells to test all stimulants).
- Musm1 (allergen): @ 200 μg/mL purified Musm1 protein in Aim-V.
- AIM-V (negative control): AIM-V medium alone.
- Beads (positive control): 1μg/mL anti-CD3/CD28 beads.
- Wash and resuspend freshly isolated PBMCs in AIM-V medium @ 4 x 106 cells/mL (cell suspension). For culture, each tube will contain 2 x 106 cells (0.5 mL).
- Prepare solutions for each stimulant condition as follows:
- 200 μg/mL MusM1 in AIM-V: place 450 μL of AIM-V in the appropriately labeled tube and add 50 μL of allergen (MusM1). Then add 500 μL of cell suspension. Pipette up and down.
- AIM-V medium alone: place 500 μL of AIM-V in the appropriately labeled tube and add 500 μL of cell suspension. Pipette up and down.
- 1 μg/mL anti-CD3, anti-CD28 beads in AIM-V: place 500 μL of AIM-V in the appropriately labeled tube and add 2.5 μL of CD3, CD28 expander beads. Then add 500 μL of cell suspension. Pipette up and down.
- Place the tissue culture plate in the 37°C CO2 incubator for 48 hours.
Collection of Supernatants
- Cell culture supernatants will be collected for cytokine measurement after 48 hour culture.
- After 48 hours, mix the cells carefully by pipetting up and down to resuspend cells in the tube to evenly mix any secreted cytokine.
- Centrifuge tubes at 300g for 5 minutes at 25°C.
- Obtain a cluster tube rack for the storage of supernatants.
- Label two cluster tubes for each culture tube as follows:
- Specimen ID
- Supernatants - 48 hour
- Stimulant condition 1-3
- Stimulant 1 = MusM1
- Stimulant 2 = AIM-V
- Stimulant 3 = Beads
- For each stimulant, using a 1000μL pipette tip, transfer 400μL of supernatant from the culture tube into each corresponding cluster tube in the cluster rack. Be careful not to disturb the cell pellets.
- Note: There will be two aliquots of supernatant collected for each culture. These should be stored in two separate cluster tube boxes and shipped on separate days to minimize the risk of loss during storage/ shipment.
- Cap the cluster tubes and store in the –80°C freezer.
Collection of Cell Pellet for RNA Isolation
- Add 1mL of staining buffer to the cell pellet of each culture tube, vortex on low.
- Centrifuge cells at 400 g for 5 minutes at 4°C. Please take special care to minimize the cell pellet disturbing or lost. Use a 1000 μL pipetman to aspirate most of the supernatant removing the last ~100 μL with a 200 μL pipetman. Make sure that only filtered pre-sterilized tips are being used from this step and later.
- Prepare RLT buffer containing β-mercaptoethanol by adding 10 μL of ~14.3M stock solution of β-mercaptoethanol per 1ml of the RLT buffer
- Note: good for one month after adding β-ME, store in the dark and wrapped in aluminum foil
- Use a filtered pipette tip to add 300 μL of the RLT buffer containing β-mercaptoethanol and resuspend cells by pipeting up and down 10 times, rinsing walls of tubes carefully. Vortex each Eppendorf tube twice for 15 seconds each time and spin briefly at 1,000g for few seconds to collect all liquid at the bottom of the tube. Transfer to labeled cryovial tube.
- Freeze immediately and store for shipment.
- Ship to MGH on dry ice.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- List troubleshooting tips here.
- You can also link to FAQs/tips provided by other sources such as the manufacturer or other websites.
- Anecdotal observations that might be of use to others can also be posted here.
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
- Who has experience with this protocol?
or instead, discuss this protocol.