- Get a Stanford ID card.
- Add your name and contact info onto the Emergency Contact Info sheet on the clipboard by the main entrance.
- Get your Stanford email account and SUNet ID.
- Add yourself to the Smolkelab mailing list: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/smolkelab
- Get an openwetware account so that you can contribute to the lab wiki.
- Update your info page on the Smolke Lab Members wiki page.
Stanford Training Requirements
After you get your web access to Stanford, log-in to axess.
Choose the STARS (Training) tab
Everyone Must Complete
- EHS-4200-WEB General Safety & Emergency Preparedness
- EHS-1500-WEB Biosafety
Log into the red BIOSAFETY binder on Julie's desk, under the Training Info tab, name and date of Biosafety Training on appropriate page.
Ask Christina if you need to complete,
- EHS-1600 Bloodborne Pathogens
Log into the red BIOSAFETY binder on Julie's desk, under the Training Info tab, name and date of Training on appropriate page. This course must be renewed annually.
Our lab meeting point in case of an emergency is in the plaza behind Coupa Cafe.
Lab Training and Starting Out
- Get a lab notebook and use it! Your lab notebook should be a record of your daily activities in the laboratory. Discuss with Christina expectations around keeping and maintaining lab notebooks.
- Before using an instrument make sure you are appropriately trained on it. This goes for any instrument (even something as simple as a pH meter, to make sure you are using it correctly and appropriately). If you do not know how to use something don't be afraid to ask.
- Make sure you are getting the appropriate training on experimental techniques. Generally, new researchers will be paired with another researcher in the lab who will train them on appropriate techniques (depending on the background and project).
Building and Lab Access
After you get an ID card,
- Contact Julie to arrange for Y2E2 building access.
There is a keycard access point on the courtyard side of the red atrium. You will need your card after 6PM weekdays and all weekend. Additionally, keycard access is required in the elevator and the stairway door in the red atrium for after-hours security. Please, never leave the building or stairwell doors propped open on weekends.
- Ask for the keycode for the lab, B07 door.
This door can be a problem for the newcomer! If you are having trouble opening the door, you are probably pushing down on the handle too quickly after entering the code. Listen carefully for the lock noise or try counting ONE, TWO, then Turn handle down. Wait for it to reset if you have to retry.
- For emergency access to the lab in case something happens to the keypad door, a key is provided in a lockbox in the hallway, next to the lab door by the washroom. Ask for the code. This key also works the door at B17. Always return the key to the lockbox!
Ordering and Receiving Supplies
- Primarily all supplies are routed through Christina.
- DNA synthesis (standard oligos) - PAN: http://cmgm.stanford.edu/pan/. Request directions for setting up an account and for ordering from Christina.
- DNA sequencing - Elim: http://www.elimbiopharm.com/. An envelop for pick up of DNA to be sequenced is right by the main entry for the lab. Request directions for setting up an account and for preparing DNA samples from Christina.
- Stanford maintains BioStores (link here) and Physics stores. Ask Christina to make you an approved purchaser. These two stores serve as a backup to the general purchasing through Christina
- When deliveries are made to the lab, make sure to log the shipment onto the clipboard by the microwave. Include item, place stored, vendor and your initials. Cross check the packing slip to make sure all items have been removed from the box, especially enzymes. If the items are cold items (need to be placed in freezer or fridge) do not leave the box for someone else to open. Make sure you put away the cold items in the appropriate location. Break down the box and put at the end of the hallway near the elevator. Ice packs and peanuts are tossed. NEB enzyme boxes are recycled, all other foam boxes are tossed. Recycle packing paper. Extra dry ice should be saved in the white dry ice box near the cold room, B17.
Glassware, Culture Tubes, Washroom Info and Autoclave Directions
Glassware is located in B07B. Culture Tubes are located above the ice machine in the washroom, B07A, two sizes are available.