Selected Recent Publications
- Browning, D.F., Lee, D.J., Spiro, S. and Busby, S.J. (2010) Down-regulation of the Escherichia coli K-12 nrf promoter by binding of the NsrR nitric oxide-sensing transcription repressor to an upstream site. Journal of Bacteriology 192:3824-3828 
- Spiro, S. (2010) An alternative route to nitric oxide resistance. Molecular Microbiology 77:6-10. 
- Partridge, J.D., Bodenmiller, D.M., Humphrys, M.S. and Spiro, S. (2009) NsrR targets in the Escherichia coli genome: new insights into DNA sequence requirements for binding and a role for NsrR in the regulation of motility. Molecular Microbiology 73:680-694. 
- Rankin, L.D., Bodenmiller, D.M., Partridge, J.D., Nishino, S.F., Spain, J.C. and Spiro, S. (2008) Escherichia coli NsrR regulates a pathway for the oxidation of 3-nitrotyramine to 4-hydroxy-3-nitrophenylacetate. Journal of Bacteriology 190: 6170-6177. 
- Spiro, S. (2008) Metalloregulatory proteins and nitric oxide signalling in bacteria. Biochemical Society Transactions 36: 1160-1164. 
- Efromovich, S., Grainger, D., Bodenmiller, D. and Spiro, S. (2008) Genome-wide identification of binding sites for the nitric oxide-sensitive transcriptional regulator NsrR. Methods in Enzymology 437: 211-233. 
- Mills, P.C., Rowley, G., Spiro, S., Hinton, J.C.D. and Richardson, D.J. (2008) A combination of cytochrome c nitrite reductase (NrfA) and flavorubredoxin (NorV) protects Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium against killing by NO in anoxic environments. Microbiology 154: 1218-1228.
- Tucker, N.P., D’Autréaux, B., Yousafzai, F., Fairhurst, S., Spiro, S. and Dixon, R. (2008) Analysis of the nitric oxide-sensing non-heme iron center in the NorR regulatory protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry 208: 908-918.
- Filenko, N., Spiro, S., Browning, D., Squire, D., Overton, T., Cole, J. and Constantinidou, C. (2007) The NsrR regulon of Escherichia coli K12 includes genes encoding the hybrid cluster protein and the respiratory nitrite reductase. Journal of Bacteriology 189: 4410-4417. 
- Spiro, S. (2007) Regulators of bacterial responses to nitric oxide. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 31: 193-211.
- Ryan, R.P., Fouhy, Y., Lucey, J.F., Crossman, L.C. Spiro, S., He, Y-W., Zhang, L-H., Heeb, S., Cámara, M., Williams, P. and Dow, J.M. (2006) Cell-cell signaling in Xanthomonas campestris involves an HD-GYP domain protein that functions in cyclic di-GMP turnover. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 103: 6712-6717.
- Lee, Y-Y., Shearer, N. and Spiro, S. (2006) Transcription factor NNR from Paracoccus denitrificans is a sensor of both nitric oxide and oxygen: isolation of nnr* alleles encoding effector-independent proteins and evidence for a haem-based sensing mechanism. Microbiology 152: 1461-1470.
- Bodenmiller, D.M. and Spiro, S. (2006) The yjeB (nsrR) gene of Escherichia coli encodes a nitric oxide sensitive regulator of transcription. Journal of Bacteriology 188: 874-881. F1000 Recommended
- D’Autréaux, B., Tucker, N.P., Dixon, R. and Spiro, S. (2005) A non-haem iron centre in the transcription factor NorR senses nitric oxide. Nature 437: 769-772. F1000 Must Read
- Tucker, N.P., D’Autréaux, B., Studholme, D.J., Spiro, S. and Dixon, R. (2004) DNA binding activity of the Escherichia coli nitric oxide sensor NorR suggests a conserved target sequence in diverse proteobacteria. Journal of Bacteriology 186: 6656-6660.
- Hutchings, M.I., Mandhana, N. and Spiro, S. (2002) The NorR protein of Escherichia coli activates expression of the flavorubredoxin gene norV in response to reactive nitrogen species. Journal of Bacteriology 184: 4640-4643.