Lab attendance is mandatory and there are no make-up labs. A family crisis or severe illness requiring attention from the infirmary and prohibiting you from all your coursework are acceptable reasons for missing lab and every effort will be made to accommodate you in these exceptional circumstances.
||% of Final Grade
|Daily Lab Quizzes || 15%
|Daily Lab Notebook || 25%
|Research Article Review || 30%
|Design Project Report & Presentation || 30%
Research Article Review
The class will work in groups of 2 or 3 to read and review the following 5 articles:
- Ow DW, DE Wet JR, Helinski DR, Howell SH, Wood KV, and Deluca M. . pmid:17758108.
- Horstmann V, Huether CM, Jost W, Reski R, and Decker EL. . pmid:15239842.
- Gibson DG. . pmid:19745056.
- Chan LY, Kosuri S, and Endy D. . pmid:16729053.
- Rutherford SL and Lindquist S. . pmid:9845070.
- Firefly+Plants: (your names)
- Moss Transformation: (your names)
- Gene Building in Yeast: (your names)
- Refactoring A Genome: (your names)
- Evolutionary Capacitance: (your names)
Each team will need to prepare a 15 minute presentation summarizing your reading and critical assessment of each paper. Your presentation should be 6 slides (not more, not less), following this structure:
- Cover slide (authors, title of paper, journal)
- Main finding (what was the single most important discovery or new technology presented in the paper?)
- Primary evidence (how is the main finding supported by the work presented in the paper?)
- Main weakness (what is the strongest criticism or weakness that can leveled at the work presented in the paper?)
- Future work (given the work presented in the paper, what are the 3 most important questions to be answered, or tools to be developed, next)
- Related reading (list four related research articles that you would like to read next, in order to followup on what you've learned from this paper; state your "why" for each paper.
Design Projects, Reports & Presentations
Late work for major assignments will be penalized 1/3 of a letter grade for each day late and will not be accepted after a week. Daily quizzes and lab notebooks will not be accepted late.