(→30 Nov 2006: José O. Alemán)
|Line 82:||Line 82:|
<big>'''''back to the [[Stephanopoulos Lab]] home page'''''</big>
<big>'''''back to the [[Stephanopoulos Lab]] home page'''''</big>
Revision as of 15:18, 3 May 2007
The purpose of this page is to post the recent articles that we in the Stephanopoulos group review in our nearly-weekly literature review presentations. Sometimes the presenter focuses on a particular paper, and sometimes the roughly one-hour talk gives a brief overview of an important series of related papers.
27 April 2006: Curt Fischer
Curt presented a recent PNAS article  which explicated a newly-discovered operon in E. coli. This operon encodes a previously unreported pathway for uracil degradation, which ends in the excretion of 3-hydroxypropionic acid in the medium. He also briefly mentioned two other recent high-profile papers on nitrogen metabolism--one reported the genome sequence of a anaerobic ammonium oxidizing bacterium and hypthesized the full structure of this metabolic pathway , and the other presents laborious and careful analysis carbon utilization of non-thermophilic archaea living in medium-depth oceanic waters. These bacteria fix inorganic carbon and oxidize nitrogen, and are probably major players in the global nitrogen cycle.
- Loh KD, Gyaneshwar P, Markenscoff Papadimitriou E, Fong R, Kim KS, Parales R, Zhou Z, Inwood W, and Kustu S. . pmid:16540542.
- Strous M, Pelletier E, Mangenot S, Rattei T, Lehner A, Taylor MW, Horn M, Daims H, Bartol-Mavel D, Wincker P, Barbe V, Fonknechten N, Vallenet D, Segurens B, Schenowitz-Truong C, Médigue C, Collingro A, Snel B, Dutilh BE, Op den Camp HJ, van der Drift C, Cirpus I, van de Pas-Schoonen KT, Harhangi HR, van Niftrik L, Schmid M, Keltjens J, van de Vossenberg J, Kartal B, Meier H, Frishman D, Huynen MA, Mewes HW, Weissenbach J, Jetten MS, Wagner M, and Le Paslier D. . pmid:16598256.
- Ingalls AE, Shah SR, Hansman RL, Aluwihare LI, Santos GM, Druffel ER, and Pearson A. . pmid:16614070.
4 May 2006: Joel Forrest Moxley
Joel gave an excellent overview of several landmark papers about new tools for high-throughput data collection in systems biology. The papers were made possible by advances in tiling DNA microarrays, protein arrays, and automated yeast transformation and colony characterization.
- Pokholok DK, Harbison CT, Levine S, Cole M, Hannett NM, Lee TI, Bell GW, Walker K, Rolfe PA, Herbolsheimer E, Zeitlinger J, Lewitter F, Gifford DK, and Young RA. . pmid:16122420.
- Gresham D, Ruderfer DM, Pratt SC, Schacherer J, Dunham MJ, Botstein D, and Kruglyak L. . pmid:16527929.
- Ptacek J, Devgan G, Michaud G, Zhu H, Zhu X, Fasolo J, Guo H, Jona G, Breitkreutz A, Sopko R, McCartney RR, Schmidt MC, Rachidi N, Lee SJ, Mah AS, Meng L, Stark MJ, Stern DF, De Virgilio C, Tyers M, Andrews B, Gerstein M, Schweitzer B, Predki PF, and Snyder M. . pmid:16319894.
- Sopko R, Huang D, Preston N, Chua G, Papp B, Kafadar K, Snyder M, Oliver SG, Cyert M, Hughes TR, Boone C, and Andrews B. . pmid:16455487.
- Krogan NJ, Cagney G, Yu H, Zhong G, Guo X, Ignatchenko A, Li J, Pu S, Datta N, Tikuisis AP, Punna T, Peregrín-Alvarez JM, Shales M, Zhang X, Davey M, Robinson MD, Paccanaro A, Bray JE, Sheung A, Beattie B, Richards DP, Canadien V, Lalev A, Mena F, Wong P, Starostine A, Canete MM, Vlasblom J, Wu S, Orsi C, Collins SR, Chandran S, Haw R, Rilstone JJ, Gandi K, Thompson NJ, Musso G, St Onge P, Ghanny S, Lam MH, Butland G, Altaf-Ul AM, Kanaya S, Shilatifard A, O'Shea E, Weissman JS, Ingles CJ, Hughes TR, Parkinson J, Gerstein M, Wodak SJ, Emili A, and Greenblatt JF. . pmid:16554755.
18 May 2006: José O. Alemán
José gave a brief overview of two papers looking at insulin resistance from a perspective of cellular and animal experiments. The first uses cellular and animal experiments addressing reactive oxygen species' role in insulin resistance, while the second carefully dissects insulin signaling in the liver to tease divergent metabolic control of glucose and lipid metabolism.
- Houstis N, Rosen ED, and Lander ES. . pmid:16612386.
- Taniguchi CM, Kondo T, Sajan M, Luo J, Bronson R, Asano T, Farese R, Cantley LC, and Kahn CR. . pmid:16679292.
14 Sep 2006: José O. Alemán
José presented a paper using deuterium and carbon labeling to elucidate the function of a redundant metabolic module for formaldehyde metabolism in Methylobacterium extorquens AM1.
- Marx CJ, Van Dien SJ, and Lidstrom ME. . pmid:15660163.
21 Sep 2006: Jamey D. Young
Jamey presented a paper from the Nicholson group describing the effects of gut microbes on choline metabolism in the development of fatty liver disease.
- Dumas ME, Barton RH, Toye A, Cloarec O, Blancher C, Rothwell A, Fearnside J, Tatoud R, Blanc V, Lindon JC, Mitchell SC, Holmes E, McCarthy MI, Scott J, Gauguier D, and Nicholson JK. . pmid:16895997.
12 Oct 2006: Curt Fischer
Curt presented a very recent paper from Nature Chemical Biology about isotopically instationary analysis of nitrogen assimilation in E. coli. Two notable things about this paper were 1) the invention of a technique for rapid metabolome quenching of E. coli while still obtaining some degree of intracellular/extracellular separation, and 2) the agreement of the measured net fluxes with net fluxes predicted by FBA.
- Yuan J, Fowler WU, Kimball E, Lu W, and Rabinowitz JD. . pmid:16936719.
26 Oct 2006: Christine Santos
Christine presented two papers on cannibalism in Bacillus subtilis. In an effort to delay sporulation under conditions of extreme nutrient deprivation, B. subtilis cells with an activated sporulation regulatory protein, Spo0A, make use of two modes of killing to bring about the cell lysis of genetically identical sister cells and the subsequent release of nutrients.
- González-Pastor JE, Hobbs EC, and Losick R. . pmid:12817086.
- Ellermeier CD, Hobbs EC, Gonzalez-Pastor JE, and Losick R. . pmid:16469701.
30 Nov 2006: José O. Alemán
José presented a paper documenting the effects of resveratrol, one of the active compounds in red wine and an effector of caloric restriction, in preventing disease progression associated with a high-calorie diet in mice.
- Baur JA, Pearson KJ, Price NL, Jamieson HA, Lerin C, Kalra A, Prabhu VV, Allard JS, Lopez-Lluch G, Lewis K, Pistell PJ, Poosala S, Becker KG, Boss O, Gwinn D, Wang M, Ramaswamy S, Fishbein KW, Spencer RG, Lakatta EG, Le Couteur D, Shaw RJ, Navas P, Puigserver P, Ingram DK, de Cabo R, and Sinclair DA. . pmid:17086191.
8 March 2007: Benjamin L. Wang
Ben presented a paper describing the use of a microfluidic device to measure transcription factor binding.
- Maerkl SJ and Quake SR. . pmid:17218526.
3 May 2007: Jamey D. Young
Jamey presented a paper on reducing photorespiration and improving growth in C3 plants. This was accomplished by introducing the glycolate catabolic pathway from E. coli into A. thaliana.
- Kebeish R, Niessen M, Thiruveedhi K, Bari R, Hirsch HJ, Rosenkranz R, Stäbler N, Schönfeld B, Kreuzaler F, and Peterhänsel C. . pmid:17435746.
back to the Stephanopoulos Lab home page