Synthetic Biology is
A) the design and construction of new biological parts, devices, and systems, and
B) the re-design of existing, natural biological systems for useful purposes.
Links to various press articles about Synthetic Biology. Note that this is not a comprehensive list.
Please add new press articles here.
- How to Make Life Esquire, November 20, 2007.
- Creating life in the laboratory BBC News, October 19, 2007.
- Countdown to a synthetic lifeform New Scientist, July 11, 2007.
- Quest to create synthetic cell brings many parts together The Reporter, May 18, 2007.
- BP announces support for Energy Biosciences Institute San Francisco Chronicle, February 1, 2007.
- Genetic jamboree draws innovators Boston Globe, November 5, 2006.
- Bizarre Bacterial Creations Technology Review, November 3, 2006.
- "Would E. coli, by any other name, smell as sweet?" MedGadget, November 3, 2006.
- Life 2.0 The Economist, August 31, 2006.
- Engineering Life: Building a Fab for Biology Scientific American, June 2006. [subscription only]
- How to Kill Synthetic Biology Scientific American, June 2006. [editorial, subscription only]
- Regenesis Forbes, April 18, 2006.
- Cheaper Malaria Drugs MIT Technology Review, April 13, 2006.
- Projekt Genesis Die Zeit, February 16, 2006.
- Why Revive A Deadly Flu Virus? NY Times Magazine, January 29, 2006.
- Custom-Made Microbes, at Your Service The NY Times, January 17, 2006.
- Is This Life? Cover article, The Scientist, January 2006.
- Playing God in running shoes The Globe and Mail, December 17, 2005.
- Using Fake Plants to Halt A Real Killer Time, December 12, 2005.
- Dr. Dobbs A.I. Newsletter Synthetic biology issue, December 2005.
- Special issue on synthetic biology in Nature including the Adventures in Synthetic Biology comic
- Synthetic Biology Remakes Small Genomes Science, November 4, 2005.
- Security fears as flu virus that killed 50 million is recreated The Guardian, October 6, 2005.
- Synthetic biologists face up to security issues Nature, August 2005 and How synthetic biology can avoid GMO-style conflicts correspondence in later issue
- Attempting to build from the cells up Deccan Herald, April 2005.
- From the cells up The Guardian, March 2005.
- Steal this Genome! East Bay Express, March 2005.
- Intelligent Design Berkeley Science Review, Spring 2005.
- Meeting Report: Synthetic Biology Jamboree for Undergraduates Cell Biology Education, Spring 2005.
- Computation comes to life: Someday, our most sophisticated chip fabs could be living cells Computerworld, February 2005.
- Preparing the World for Synthetic Biology Technology Review, January 2005.
- Life, Reinvented WIRED, January 2005.
- Innovation Sails Free Newsweek, November 2004.
- Synthetic biology: Starting from scratch Nature, October 2004.
- Life, The Next Generation The Scientist, October 2004.
- Synthetic Biology: The Real Thing BIO-IT World, July 2004.
- Experts worry that synthetic biology may spawn biohackers EE Times, June 2004 and Synthetic Biology May Spawn Biohackers post on Slashdot
- Conference kicks off synthetic bio revolution EE Times, June 2004.
- BioBricks to help reverse-engineer life EE Times, June 2004.
- Synthetic Life Scientific American, May 2004 and Synthetic Life In The Lab post on Slashdot
- Microbes made to order Science, January 2004.
- Digital Cells: Computer circuits made of genes may soon program bacteria Science News, April 2003 and Digital DNA circuits post on Slashdot with link to BioBricks.
- Class aims to engineer blinking life in the lab MIT News, February 2003.
Search for Synthetic Biology on Google News.
This site is hosted on OpenWetWare and can be edited by all members of the Synthetic Biology community.
Making life better, one part at a time.