The BioBricks Foundation was invited to run a workshop on "Synthetic Biology with BioBricks Parts" at CSB2008. Reusable educational modules about synthetic biology can be found on this page.
Skeletal draft outline of SB101
- Intro - setting the stage for synthetic biology
- Overview - imagine sequencing and synthesis became free overnight. Where does that lead in terms of engineering? (Abstraction, Modularity, Standardization)
- Definitions (ex modularity, standards)
- Standard Parts: Goals and Tools
- Data sheets (goal)
- Measurement (path toward goal)
- Legal Standards (Freedom)
- Production and Use - iGEM (fabs... & codon devices, ginkgo?)
- Get involved!
- biobricks foundation: volunteer, help steer the ship
- igem: do syn bio for real
Questions / Ideas
- In the history of electronics, did the pioneers begin by inventing interesting/useful devices or reusable basic parts? It seems to me they started with certain applications in mind (devices) which over time revealed a set of commonly used basic parts.
- a technology flowchart revealing the significant events leading to the advent of synthetic biology and project what the most important advances will be 5 to 10 years into the future.
- A diagram representing available biobrick parts & devices localized to their areas of activity in a cell. See slides 13 and 14 in the embedded slides below: