Synthetic Biology is
A) the design and construction of new biological parts, devices, and systems, and
B) the re-design of existing, natural biological systems for useful purposes.
This page contains a collection of links to online tools that are related to Synthetic Biology. If you are editing this page, please try to keep the tools in alphabetical order, by tool name.
- BBOCUS by Ferro and Purrello lab
- BBOCUS (BackTranslation Based On Codon Usage Strategy) is a re-implementation of the algorithm in Graziano Pesole's BACKTR. It's based on cluster analysis (Complete Linkage algorithm), that requires a similarity matrix D containing distance between each pair of sequences of mRNA. After cluster analysis, backtranslation is performed on sequences of homogeneous pool. Unlike in Graziano Pesole's method, where the choose of homogeneous pool was made by a biologist, the choose of cluster in BBOCUS is fully automatic. A Codon Usage Table (CUT) is created through sequences of homogeneuos pool. Generally, to backtranslate an amino acid in a protein the codon chosen it is the one has maximum frequency.
- Biopolymer calculator by Schepartz lab
- Calculate extinction coefficients, Tm's, and base composition for your DNA or RNA; calculate amino acid composition and extinction coefficient for your protein
- Clipboard by Austin Che
- Web tool for getting complement, reverse complement, translation and restriction enzyme analysis of a DNA sequence
- DNAWorks by Hoover and Lubkowski
- A web tool for optimizing melting temperature during gene synthesis.
- GeneDesign by Boeke lab
- Collection of online tools for codon optimization and shuffling, restriction site editing, and so on.
- GeneDesigner by DNA2.0
- Combine genetic building blocks by drag-and-drop, codon optimize, restriction site editing, sequence oligo design etc. See BMC Bioinformatics 2006 Jun 6;7(1):285 for more detail.
- Free to download and works on Mac or PC. User agreement is somewhat restrictive (i.e., does not allow commercial application to anything designed on the program).
- NEB Cutter by New England Biolabs, Inc.
- Tool for finding restriction sites, et cetera.
- Synthetic Gene Designer by Gang Wu
- A web platform that allows codon optimization to various extent.
- Compatible with non-standard genetic codes
- Integrate CUTG
- Restriction site avoidance
- Oligo design
- Vector NTI by Informax, Inc.
- Free-to-academics tool for sequence analysis and data management.
- Appendix by Ambion, Inc.
- Website with many useful nucleic acid parameters.
- mFold by Michael Zuker.
- This is the main page with links to sites for predicting RNA and DNA folds, calculating Tm's and free energies.
- Cn3D by NCBI
- A helper application for your web browser that allows you to view 3-dimensional structures from NCBI's Entrez retrieval service. It doesn't read PDB files but can be more straightforward to use than DeepView.
- DeepView by GlaxoSmithKline & Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- Awesome program for viewing and studying protein structure.
- ExPASy Proteomics server by the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- Collection of links to many pages to calculate parameters of your favorite proteins
- Modeller by Sali Lab
- For homology or comparative modeling of protein three-dimensional structures.
- Zinc Finger Tools by Barbas Lab
- Design Zinc Finger DNA binding proteins
- Colibri by Institut Pasteur
- E. coli genome site; get sequences, see the position of your gene in the chromosome, see the function of your gene, and other fun stuff. You can also search for protein sequences/motifs within the E. coli genome.
- Registry of Standard Biological Parts by MIT
- Open repository of BioBricks; the place for all your standard biological parts.
This site is hosted on OpenWetWare and can be edited by all members of the Synthetic Biology community.
Making life better, one part at a time.