- RS 17:08, 26 February 2006 (EST): Based on the comments of a couple of people, the pages of the synthetic biology site appear to be pretty hard to navigate for people and they have a hard time keeping track of all the pages there are in the syntheticbiology.org site. It is a bit overwhelming for them and a lot of the discussions aren't intelligible to those who haven't participated directly in the discussions. We might want to think about how we can make the site more useful to the community (as far as organization goes) as well as retain its utility as a forum for brainstorming ideas. Perhaps we need more paragraph-style explanations about key pages.
New syntheticbiology.org design
- The script now caches files. It may or may not be faster. The current cache file lifetime is 1 day so don't be surprised if syntheticbiology.org doesn't update immediately after wiki changes. If you want to force the clearing of the cache go to http://syntheticbiology.org/x or any other edit page (by adding the x to end of any url)
- syntheticbiology.org now grabs pages from the wiki and de-wikifies them. Any page beginning with Synthetic_Biology: will be considered a page for syntheticbiology to serve as a pseudo-static page. Austin 16:28, 15 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- Hey Austin, do you think you could post your code for this hack and simple usage intructions. If not, could you send it to me, and I will post it up. A third option would be to start a company and sell it. Either way, I think a lot of people think this is really cool, and could be a great tool others to take advantage of (including me!). --Sri Kosuri 20:39, 15 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- Ok, fine. I cleaned up the code a bit and moved everything I thought was specific to synthetic biology to globals at the top. Download dewikify perl script. I'm not sure where else you want/could use it.
- Add a single character 'x' to the end of any url under syntheticbiology.org and you'll automatically be brought to the edit page under openwetware. Austin 18:04, 15 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- I decided to redesign the Synthetic Biology page. Mostly the content is the same but I tried to add some updates as appropriate.
To do list:
- Austin has several documents linked off his homepage. The relevant ones should also be linked to the Documents page as well. I did it for a few of them, but there are more to be linked.
- Anyone know if it is okay to use the cells to gears logo on this page? Since it is used for the Registry, I assumed it would be okay to use it here as well but I could be wrong.
- If anyone knows how to rescale the cells to gears logo to be wider so that the text boxes can be wider as well, please do so. Or alternatively, is there a wider version available? Right now, the cells to gears picture is 582px but probably everything should be at least as wide as the OpenWetWare Main Page i.e. 752px?
- Change everything to ~700px --Sri Kosuri 13:41, 14 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- I just revised this page together using ideas from some of Jenny's pages and the color scheme of the parts registry. If someone has a better layout or color scheme etc., feel free to change it again.
- I think it looks really great! --Sri Kosuri 13:41, 14 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- There were a lot of articles written in the press that talk about Synthetic Biology, Drew, Tom, BioBricks, the classes and competitions etc. It might be nice if there were a centralized place for links to these. This is the motivation for the Press page.
- Also a great idea --Sri Kosuri 13:41, 14 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- Add a People page in light of the fact that not everyone in the listed labs does Synthetic Biology.
- Any other useful content to be added?
- We need to add some info. about who we are. I started a "who we are" page. When this page is a little more polished it might be moved somewhere more appropriate. MITSBWG might want to think more generally about who we are and how we describe ourselves. (New page looks great)--BC 15:28, 14 Sep 2005 (EDT)
--Reshma 12:44, 14 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- These are great changes but...
- I think that we need to re-shuffle the ordering/presentation of the content on the front page so that it's more catchy. I was thinking that the community news stuff should go up top, followed by what's now there, but I'm not sure... Endy 03:09, 15 Sep 2005 (EDT)