University of California Berkeley/Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
DOE Joint BioEnergy Institute
Buiding 978 Mailstop 4121, CA 94720
Office: 510 495 2462
With ten years of research experience in the field of cell wall (extracellular matrix in plants), I am interested in understanding genes and enzymes involved in the synthesis of cellulosic biomass which consists of the complex carbohydrates of cellulose and hemicelluloses in the cell walls.
Education and experience
- Current Postdoctoral Fellow: Joint BioEnergy Institute, California, USA
- 2008 Ph.D: Iwate University, JAPAN
- 2007 Visiting student: Yale University, Connecticut, USA
- 2005 M.S: Iwate University, JAPAN
- 2003 B.S: Iwate University, JAPAN
Awards and Grants received
- The Yamada Science Foundation (YSF) Japan: The YSF was established to promote basic natural science by providing support complementary to that provided by the Japanese government. The YSF extends support three Japaneses researchers for abroad research projects among applicants every year. I was awarded the 2008 abroad research grant to study on “Unraveling the gene network involved in the construction of plant cell wall” with Dr. Henrik Vibe Scheller at DOE Joint BioEnergy Institute (CA, USA).
- The Japanese Society of Plant Physiologists (JSPP) Fellow: The JSPP is one of the largest societies in Japan. I was awarded a 2008 JSPP Fellow of two winners from among the membership every year, by receiving Young Overseas Joint Research Fellowship to conduct collaboration with Dr. Timothy Nelson at Yale University (CT, USA) on “Unraveling the gene network involved in the barley seed development by LCM (Laser-captured Microdissection）”.
- Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) - Scholarship Programs for Japanese Students: I was certified and granted by JASSO as having achieved particularly outstanding results during the course of Ph.D studies.
- The Life Science Foundation Japan (only japanese): I was awarded the life science travel grant to attend the Annual meeting of American Society of Plant Biologist (ASPB) held in Chicago, USA.
- Ai Oikawa, Christian Have Lund, Yumiko Sakuragi, Henrik Vibe Scheller. (2012) Golgi-localized enzyme complexes for plant cell wall biosynthesis. Trend in Plant Science, 18:49-58 Article
- Xuewei Chen, Miguel E Vega-Sánchez, Yves Verhertbruggen, Dawn Chiniquy, Patrick E Canlas, Alexandra Fagerström, Lina Prak, Ulla Christensen, Ai Oikawa, Mawsheng Chern, Shimin Zuo, Lin Fan, Manfred Auer, William GT Willats, Laura Bartley, Jesper Harholt, Henrik V Scheller, Pamela C Ronald. (2012) Inactivation of OsIRX10 leads to decreased xylan content in ricestem cell walls and improved biomass saccharification. Molecular Plant, In Press Article
- April J. M. Liwanag, Berit Ebert, Yves Verhertbruggen, Emilie A. Rennie, Carsten Rautengarten, Ai Oikawa, Mathias C. F. Andersen, Mads H. Clausen, and Henrik Vibe Scheller. (2012) Pectin Biosynthesis: GALS1 in Arabidopsis thaliana Is a β-1,4-Galactan β-1,4-Galactosyltransferase. Plant Cell, In Press PDF
- Sara Fasmer Hansen, Jesper Harholt, Ai Oikawa, Henrik Vibe Scheller. (2012) Plant glycosyltransferases beyond CAZy: a perspective on DUF families. Frontier in plant science, 3:59 Article
- Yves Verhertbruggen, Lan Yin, Ai Oikawa, Henrik Vibe Scheller. (2011) Mannan synthase activity in the CSLD family. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 6:10 PDF
- Lan Yin, Yves Verhertbruggen, Ai Oikawa, Chithra Manisseri, Bernhard Knierim, Lina Prak, Jacob Krüger Jensena, J. Paul Knox, Manfred Auer, William G. T. Willats, Henrik Vibe Scheller. (2011) The Cooperative Activities of CSLD2, CSLD3 and CSLD5 are Required for Normal Arabidopsis Development. Molecular Plant, 4:1–14 PDF
- Ai Oikawa, Hiren J. Joshi, Emilie A. Rennie, Berit Ebert, Chithra Manisseri, Joshua L. Heazlewood and Henrik Vibe Scheller. (2010) An integrative approach to the identification of Arabidopsis and rice genes involved in xylan and secondary wall development. PLoS One, 5: e15481 Article
- Ai Oikawa, Kazuya Nagai, Kiyoaki Kato, Shin-ichiro Kidou. (2009) Gene silencing of barley P23k involved in secondary wall formation causes abnormal tiller formation and intercalary elongation. Breeding Science, 59: 664–670 PDF
- Ai Oikawa, Abidur Rahman, Tetsuro Yamashita, Hideharu Taira and Shin-ichiro Kidou. (2007) Virus-induced gene silencing of P23k in barley leaf reveals morphological changes involved in secondary wall formation. Journal of Experimental Botany, 58:2617-2625 PDF
- Ai Oikawa, Tetsuro Yamashita, Hideharu Taira, Shin-ichiro Ejiri and Shin-ichiro Kidou. (2007) Jasmonate-induced 23kD protein (JIP-23) is involved in seed development of barley. Plant Biotechnology, 24:217-220 PDF
- Shin-ichiro Kidou, Ai Oikawa, Naoko Sasaki, Hiroshi Yasuda, Tetsuro Yamashita, Hiroyuki Koiwa, Kiyoaki Kato, Shin-ichiro Ejiri. (2006) Identification of a 23 KD protein (P23k) related to the sugar supply in germinating seed. Plant Biotechnology, 23:357-364 PDF