- Take conductivity measurements on room temperature solutions from 3/26/14.
- Run UV-Vis and AA on solutions at 4°C from 3/26/14.
Conductivity Measurement of Pure Variables at Room Temperature
- Water was added to sample in order to increase the volume above 11ml. This was done because 11ml of solution was needed in order for the detector to measure the conductivity of the sample.
- Please note that these conductivity values are not corrected for their dilution factor. The true conductivity of these solutions must be further back-calculated.
- Note that MES and 2,2 Bipyridine have reduced conductivity values. This is because other variables are ions, thus further increase this measurement. This may overwhelm observed effects.
Atomic Absorption Preparation
Creating the Gold Stock Solutions
- Add 50 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4950 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 10 μg/mL Au.
- Add 100 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4900 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 20 μg/mL Au.
- Add 150 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4850 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 30 μg/mL Au.
- Add 200 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4800 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 40 μg/mL Au.
- Add 250 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4750 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 50 μg/mL Au.
Atomic Absorption Samples
Solutions with the following Au:lysozyme ratio at 4°C were run on the AA:
- 30:1 lysozyme-AuNP with 0.03 M MgCl2, CaCl2, NaCl, KCl, MES, citric acid (0.0002316 M 2,2 bipyridine)
- 30:1 lysozyme-AuNP with 0.06 M MgCl2, CaCl2, NaCl, KCl, MES, citric acid (0.0004544 M 2,2 bipyridine)
- 30:1 lysozyme-AuNP with 0.09 M MgCl2, CaCl2, NaCl, KCl, MES, citric acid (0.0006772 M 2,2 bipyridine)
- AA data was slightly wonky by showing no clear decrease or increase between samples with a different concentration of variable. The visible trends were either a decrease followed by an increase in the amount of gold, or the reverse.
- 2,2 Bipyridine was shown on a separate graph because the concentrations of variable used are vastly different form the other variables. This was done because availability of this variable was less than the others.
- The following UV-Vis are for Lyso 30:1 samples made on March 26, 2014. The samples were synthesized using the method we've been using all year and variable was added added synthesis. The samples were then cooled to 4 Degrees to see the effect on fiber formation.
- Please note that all for all samples with the exception of the 2,2 Bipyridine samples caused almost all AuNP's to fall out of solution.
- Note that due to the measure of accuracy of the equipment used, the percentages that are close in value might not different enough to be considered significant. This is because the values used to calculate these percentages differed by one decimal point ex: .0005 and .0004