User:Alexander Wait Zaranek
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
[[Image:AWZ-photo.png|right|Alexander (Sasha) Wait Zaranek]]
* PhD Biophysics, Harvard (2009)
* PhD Biophysics, Harvard (2009)
Revision as of 13:19, 15 December 2009
a.k.a. Sasha - awaitz @ post.harvard.edu
- PhD Biophysics, Harvard (2009)
- BSc Computer Science, University of Toronto (1998)
As a biophysics student at Harvard, I received my introduction to molecular biology in Jack Szostak's lab and learned computational biology with George Church. I was a teaching fellow for classes on synthetic biology and personal genomics and, more recently, I've continued to teach in these areas as a guest lecturer for HST508 and Biophysics 101.
I have been de-facto, director of informatics at the Personal Genome Project since 2005. The PGP is the only project worldwide that provides "open-access" to well integrated human tissue-samples, genetic data and phenotype data. We were one of the first users of CC0. The commitment to openness has also led to my longtime collaboration on the Polonator which is the only open-innovation instrument platform for DNA sequencing. The Polonator, and related technologies, is part of the revolution that brought DNA sequencing costs down by 10,000-fold in 4 years. More recently it has also served as a platform for synthetic chemistry and cell biology in the same open device. Finally, along with my colleagues at the PGP, I've spearheaded an open clinical genome sequence interpretation and evidence database.
In a past-life I was a contractor for a telecom equipment supplier. My team's software translated electronics design data into instructions for a medium volume, high-mix electronics factory. I am a contributor to the IPC-2511 (GenCAM) standard. That experience helped shape my thinking on open biological factories.
My professional interests include: personalized medicine, exascale computing, and free knowledge business models. When I can, I still enjoy tinkering with quantum lifeforms and synthetic biology.
- Drmanac R, Sparks AB, Callow MJ, Halpern AL, Burns NL, Kermani BG, Carnevali P, Nazarenko I, Nilsen GB, Yeung G, Dahl F, Fernandez A, Staker B, Pant KP, Baccash J, Borcherding AP, Brownley A, Cedeno R, Chen L, Chernikoff D, Cheung A, Chirita R, Curson B, Ebert JC, Hacker CR, Hartlage R, Hauser B, Huang S, Jiang Y, Karpinchyk V, Koenig M, Kong C, Landers T, Le C, Liu J, McBride CE, Morenzoni M, Morey RE, Mutch K, Perazich H, Perry K, Peters BA, Peterson J, Pethiyagoda CL, Pothuraju K, Richter C, Rosenbaum AM, Roy S, Shafto J, Sharanhovich U, Shannon KW, Sheppy CG, Sun M, Thakuria JV, Tran A, Vu D, Zaranek AW, Wu X, Drmanac S, Oliphant AR, Banyai WC, Martin B, Ballinger DG, Church GM, and Reid CA. . pmid:19892942.
- Kim JI, Ju YS, Park H, Kim S, Lee S, Yi JH, Mudge J, Miller NA, Hong D, Bell CJ, Kim HS, Chung IS, Lee WC, Lee JS, Seo SH, Yun JY, Woo HN, Lee H, Suh D, Lee S, Kim HJ, Yavartanoo M, Kwak M, Zheng Y, Lee MK, Park H, Kim JY, Gokcumen O, Mills RE, Zaranek AW, Thakuria J, Wu X, Kim RW, Huntley JJ, Luo S, Schroth GP, Wu TD, Kim H, Yang KS, Park WY, Kim H, Church GM, Lee C, Kingsmore SF, and Seo JS. . pmid:19587683.
- Whiteford N, Skelly T, Curtis C, Ritchie ME, Löhr A, Zaranek AW, Abnizova I, and Brown C. . pmid:19549630.
- Li JB, Gao Y, Aach J, Zhang K, Kryukov GV, Xie B, Ahlford A, Yoon JK, Rosenbaum AM, Zaranek AW, LeProust E, Sunyaev SR, and Church GM. . pmid:19525355.
- Zaranek AW, Clegg T, Vandewege W, Church GM: Free Factories: Unified Infrastructure for Data Intensive Web Services. USENIX Annual Technical Conference 2008: 391-404.