User:Allison K. Alix/Notebook/CHEM-581/2013/02/15
|Microgel Prep w/ new ratios/Crosslinking of Hydrogels|| Main project page|
Previous entry Next entry
We will look at the following solutions for preparing microgels:
1) 0.5g PVOH, 4 mL buffer, 50 mL oil
2) 0.25g PVOH, 3 mL buffer, 50 mL oil
3) 0.14g PVOH, 3mL buffer, 50 mL oil
In addition to this, we will cross link already formed hydrogels from 02/01/2013
1) Heat ~75mL gluteraldehyde fixant solution (contains 0.1M HCl and Na2SO4) to 60°C
2) Place 5 hydrogels in solution with 1mL gluteraldehyde.
3) Gradually take 1 hydrogel out every 15 minutes and store in water.
4) Observe effects of crosslinkage
We have observed that our nanogels are sinking to the bottom of the beaker and clumping together during the freeze-thaw method. We are interested in changing a few variables. First, we will try flash freezing the solution before it is ready to be placed in the freezer for the first cycle using liquid nitrogen. This will freeze the gels in whatever position they may be in and will hopefully stop them from collecting at the bottom of the beaker. Second, we are interested in using an oil with a higher freezing point. The mineral oil we are using does not freeze very readily in the -20°C environment. Saffron oil will be our next choice.