(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 21:49, 13 October 2013
| Biomaterials Design Lab
|| Main project page|
Previous entry Next entry
To run SDS-PAGE to observe amount of hemoglobin remaining after yesterday's digestion. This should be a complimentary measurement to our UV-Vis analysis from yesterday.
We will be using a Bio-Rad Mini Protean system with pre-cast Mini Protean TGX gels. The manual for this system can be found here We will be running SDS-PAGE followed by gel development with Coomassie Blue staining.
Below is a short description of how we will proceed. Please refer to the manual for more detailed instructions
- Prepare the Gel and Assemble the Electrophoresis Cell
- Remove comb and tape from the gels
- Rinse the wells with running buffer
- Assemble the electrophoresis cell (note diagrams in manual)
- Fill the inner and outer buffer chambers with running buffer
- Prepare and Load Samples
- You prepped your samples yesterday
- Heat your samples for 5 minutes at 100C (in the thermocycler)
- Load 20uL of protein ladder into column 1 of your gel
- Load 20uL of your samples into the appropriate lane of your gel
- Perform electrophoresis
- Run for 30 minutes at 200V (I need to make sure our power source can do this)
- Develop/Stain your gel
- Place gel in Fixative Solution (40% methanol, 10% acetic acid, 50% water) for 30 minutes
- Place gel in Stain Solution (0.025% (w/v) Coomassie Blue, 10% acetic acid, 90% water) for 1 hour
- Place gel in Destain Solution (10% acetic acid, 90% water) for 15 minutes
- Repeat this step with fresh destain solution 2 more times
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.