- Andrew Perry
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Monash University, Clayton Campus,
- PO Box 13d, VIC, 3800, Australia.
I'm currently a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Whisstock Lab, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Monash University. Previously I worked in the Lithgow Lab when they were at the University of Melbourne; this group has since moved and is now one of the labs in the Host-Pathogen Molecular Biology Unit 'supergroup' at Monash University. I did my PhD under the supervision of Paul Gooley, doing NMR spectroscopy of proteins for structure determination.
I was an advisor and coordinator for the 2010 Monash iGEM team.
- I keep a (sometimes neglected) personal blog about science, bioinformatics and the web.
- I tweet under @pansapiens. It's mostly unprofessional.
- 2006, PhD, University of Melbourne
- 2001, BSc(Hon), University of Melbourne
- Structural bioinformatics
- Structural biology, NMR spectroscopy and X-ray crystallography
- Outer membrane protein purification, refolding, etc
- Outer mitochondrial and bacterial protein structure
- Mitochondrial protein import
- Beta-barrel membrane protein transport, folding, insertion and assembly
- Web application development, and new technologies for scientific collaboration and information dissemination
Areas I haven't published in, but would like to do some work in
- Synthetic biology (esp. compartmentalization of in vitro systems and directed evolution)
- DNA computing and "in vivo" computation
- Protein engineering
- probably lots of other stuff .... gotta stay focused :) !!
- Clements A, Bursac D, Gatsos X, Perry AJ, Civciristov S, Celik N, Likic VA, Poggio S, Jacobs-Wagner C, Strugnell RA, and Lithgow T. . pmid:19717453.
- Gatsos X, Perry AJ, Anwari K, Dolezal P, Wolynec PP, Likić VA, Purcell AW, Buchanan SK, and Lithgow T. . pmid:18759741.
- Perry AJ, Rimmer KA, Mertens HD, Waller RF, Mulhern TD, Lithgow T, and Gooley PR. . pmid:18272380.
- Hulett JM, Lueder F, Chan NC, Perry AJ, Wolynec P, Likić VA, Gooley PR, and Lithgow T. . pmid:18187149.
- Gentle IE, Perry AJ, Alcock FH, Likić VA, Dolezal P, Ng ET, Purcell AW, McConnville M, Naderer T, Chanez AL, Charrière F, Aschinger C, Schneider A, Tokatlidis K, and Lithgow T. . pmid:17329230.
- Likić VA, Perry A, Hulett J, Derby M, Traven A, Waller RF, Keeling PJ, Koehler CM, Curran SP, Gooley PR, and Lithgow T. . pmid:15733919.
- Perry AJ, Hulett JM, Likić VA, Lithgow T, and Gooley PR. . pmid:16461275.
- Perry AJ, Hulett JM, Lithgow T, and Gooley PR. . pmid:16331427.
- Perry AJ and Lithgow T. . pmid:15936264.
Procter, J.B., Perry, A.J., Torda, A.E.a Comparing Objects of Different Sizes: Treating Proteins as Strings Australian Journal of Chemistry 2001 54(6) 367-373 doi:10.1071/CH01053
Some links to useful OWW (and other) resources
- Open writing projects/Beginning Python for Bioinformatics ... a great resource in the making.
- University of Chicago:NMR Software Guide ... it's a bit like "NMRPipe: the missing manual".
- NMRWiki and NMR Q&A Forum ... a growing NMR knowledge base and a "Stack Overflow"-style Q&A community.
- North East Structural Genomics Consortium (NESG) NMR wiki ... for sharing experimental protocols as well as training in structural biology and biomolecular NMR.
- MajorGroove .. a "Stack Overflow"-style Q&A community for biologists, with a bias toward researchers using biomolecular crystallography.
- BioStar .. "Stack Overflow"-style community for bioinformatics, computational genomics and systems biology.
- E._coli_genotypes .. a really useful list of genotypes for E. coli strains in common use in many labs.
- User:Andrew Perry/Web2.0 For Scientists -- "Emerging Tools for Scientific Collaboration Online". Some rough notes for a talk I may give one day.
- User:Andrew_Perry/Other_Bioscience_Wikis -- a list of other bioscience wikis and some commentary.
- User:Andrew_Perry/Lesser_Known_Methods_in_Bacterial_Protein_Expression -- every man and his dog expresses their proteins in bacteria using poly-histidine, GST, Nus or MBP tags. Here are a few lesser known techniques that have been published.
- User:Andrew_Perry/Protocols -- I'm starting to compile my own versions of some molecular biology protocols on OpenWetWare.
Generic OWW links