I am a new member of OpenWetWare!
Brigham Young University
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
Fall 2004 - Present
Graduation April 2012; B.S. in Genetics and Biotechnology with emphasis on microbial genetics
Minors in Business Management and Molecular Biology
- Advanced Molecular Biology Techniques Lecture and Wet Lab: Designed and executed a variety of experiments including site-directed mutagenesis, blotting techniques, and DNA fingerprinting. Studied many other techniques by thorough reading of the classic primary literature.
- Mentored Genetics Lab Techniques: Hands-on experience researching a gene starting from RNA extraction and designing specific primers to replication, sequencing, and studying the gene with bioinformatic software.
- Molecular and Cellular Biology Courses: In-depth study of the inner workings of cells with a focus on general strategies and modern techniques of experimentation as well as interpreting data from contemporary publications.
- Genomics: Integrated knowledge of cellular functions with modern DNA sequencing techniques to better understand implications of modern research published in scientific journals.
- Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry Courses: Studied the biochemical processes crucial to life and the chemistry that makes them possible.
- Genetics: Solved challenging statistical and logical problems built around complicated patterns of genetic inheritance in plants, animals, and humans.
- Botany: Actively participated in small-group discussions regarding intricate plant functions and the critical role of plants in the biosphere.
- Advanced Physiology: In-depth study of mammalian tissues and organ systems and their pathogens focusing on homeostasis with human as the model organism.
- Statistics: Employed various formulas to determine the significance and probability of error of data gathered from experimentation.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Studied how to increase outputs to inputs of organizations through organizational structure, strategy, and leadership.
- Basic Computer Programming: Designed and implemented original algorithms for simple programs and databases using Java platform.
I am interested in bioengineering practical solutions to problems in energy, medicine, food supply, or pollution clean-up. I enjoy my current research -- optimizing butanol production in Clostridium ragsdalei. I would love to explore a microbial detector or cure for human diseases. I am really interested in the idea of BioBrick parts in all applications.