Wilf Family Term Chair and Assistant Professor
Department of Bioengineering
University of Pennsylvania
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, Korean Society of Medical and Biological Engineering (2012)
- SLAS Innovation Award ($10,000 prize), Society for Lab Automation and Screening (2012)
- Finalist, INDEX: Design for Life Award (world’s largest monetary prize in design; 100,000 Euros) (2011)
- Scientific Breakthrough of the Year, American Thoracic Society (2011)
- Best Publication Award, Nanotoxicology Specialty Section, Society of Toxicology (2011)
- Best Postdoctoral Award, In Vitro and Alternative Methods Annual Competition, Society of Toxicology (2011)
- Wyss Technology Development Fellowship, Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, Harvard University (2009 – 2012)
- Organ Self-Assembly Challenge Award, Harvard University (2009)
- Best Poster Award, 2007 Gordon Research Conference on Physics and Chemistry of Microfluidics (2007)
- Best Talk of the Year Award, Microfluidics Interdisciplinary Seminar Series, University of Michigan (2007)
- Best Poster Award in Tissue Engineering and Biomechanics, 2006 Engineering Symposium, University of Michigan (2006)
- Distinguished Achievement Award, University of Michigan (2005)
- Best Poster Award, 2005 NASA Bioscience and Engineering Institute Symposium (2005)
- Horace H. Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan (2005)
- Widmer Best Poster Award, 2004 International Conference on Miniaturized Systems in Chemistry and Life Sciences (microTAS 2004) (2004)
- Mechanical Engineering Department Scholarship, Seoul National University (1997-1999)
27. Dongeun Huh, Daniel C. Leslie, Benjamin D. Matthews, Jacob P. Fraser, Samuel Jurek, Geraldine A. Hamilton, Kevin S. Thorneloe, M. Allen McAlexander, Donald E. Ingber, “A human disease model of drug toxicity-induced pulmonary edema in a lung-on-a-chip microdevice,” Science Trans. Med. 2012, 4, 1-8 (cover article); Featured in Science, Reuters, Fox News, etc.
26. Jiheum Park, Kwang Bok Kim, Jungchul Lee, Hee Chan Kim, Dongeun Huh, “Organomimetic Microsystems Technologies,” Biomed. Eng. Lett. 2012, 2, 88-94.
25. Dongeun Huh, Yu-suke Torisawa, Geraldine A. Hamilton, Hyun Jung Kim, Donald E. Ingber, “Microengineered physiological biomimicry: organs-on-chips,” Lab Chip 2012, 12, 2156-2164.
24. Hyun Jung Kim, Dongeun Huh, Geraldine A. Hamilton, Donald E. Ingber, “Human gut-on-a-chip inhabited by microbial flora that experiences intestinal peristalsis-like motions and flow,” Lab Chip 2012, 12, 2165-2174.
23. Dongeun Huh, Geraldine A. Hamilton, Donald E. Ingber, “From three dimensional cell culture to organs-on-chips,” Trends Cell Biol. 2011, 21, 745-754.
22. Tadanori Mammoto, Akiko Mammoto, Tracy Tat, Yu-suke Torisawa, Ashley Gibbs, Ratmir Derda, Robert Mannix, Marlieke de Bruijin, Chong W. Yung, Dongeun Huh, Donald E. Ingber, “Mechanochemical control of mesenchymal condensation and embryonic tooth organ formation,” Dev. Cell 2011, 21, 758-769.
21. Dongeun Huh, Benjamin D. Matthews, Akiko Mammoto, Martin Montoya, Hong Yuan Hsin, Donald E. Ingber, “Reconstituting organ-level lung functions on a chip,” Science 2010, 328, 1662-1668; Named to Top 100 Stories of 2010 (Discover Magazine); Faculty of 1000 Exceptional; Featured in Nature, Lab on a Chip, Scientific American, Popular Mechanics, ABC, CBS, Bloomberg, LA times, Boston Globe, etc.
20. K. L. Mills, Dongeun Huh, Shuichi Takayama, M. D. Thouless, “Instantaneous fabrication of arrays of normally closed, adjustable, and reversible nanochannels by tunnel cracking,” Lab Chip 2010, 10, 1627-1630.
19. Hossein Tavana, Chuan-Hsien Kuo, Qian Yi Lee, Bobak Mosadegh, Dongeun Huh, Paul J. Christensen, James B. Grotberg, and Shuichi Takayama, “Dynamics of Liquid Plugs of Buffer and Surfactant Solutions in a Micro-Engineered Pulmonary Airway Model,” Langmuir 2010, 26, 3744-3752.
18. Akiko Mammoto, Kip M. Connor, Tadanori Mammoto, Chong W. Yung, Dongeun Huh, Christopher M. Aderman, Gustavo Mostoslavsky, Lois E. H. Smith, and Donald E. Ingber, “A Mechanosensitive Transcriptional Mechanism that Controls Angiogenesis,” Nature 2009, 457, 1103-1111.
17. Dongeun Huh, Chuan Hsien Kuo, James B. Grotberg, Shuichi Takayama, “Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Flow Patterns in Rectangular Polymeric Microchannels”, New J. Phys. 2009, 15, Art. No. 075034.
16. Ying Zheng, Hideki Fujioka, Shiyao Bian, Yu-suke Torisawa, Dongeun Huh, Shuichi Takayama, and James B. Grotberg, “Liquid Plug Propagation in Flexible Microchannels – A Small Airway Model.” Phys. Fluids 2009, 21, Art. No. 071903.
15. Hossein Tavana, Dongeun Huh, James B. Grotberg, and Shuichi Takayama, “Microfluidics, Lung Surfactant, and Respiratory Disorders,” Labmedicine 2009, 40, 203-209.
14. Hossein Tavana, Dongeun Huh, James B. Grotberg, and Shuichi Takayama, “Pulmonary Airways on a Chip: A New Approach to Study Respiratory Disorders”, BioForum Europe 2009, 7-8, 14-16.
13. Yoko Kamotani, Tommaso Bersano-Begey, Nobuhiro Kato, Yi-Chung Tung, Dongeun Huh, Jonathan W. Song, and Shuichi Takayama, “Individually Programmable Cell Stretching Microwell Arrays Actuated by a Braille Display,” Biomaterials 2008, 29, 2646-2655.
12. Nicholas Douville, Dongeun Huh, and Shuichi Takayama, “DNA Linearization through Confinement in Nanofluidic Channels,” Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2008, 391, 2395-2409.
11. Dongeun Huh, K. L. Mills, Xiaoyue Zhu, Mark A. Burns, M. D. Thouless, and Shuichi Takayama, “Tuneable Elastomeric Nanochannels for Nanofluidic Manipulation,” Nature Mater. 2007, 6, 424-428.
10. Dongeun Huh, Hideki Fujioka, Yi-Chung Tung, Nobuyuki Futai, Robert Paine III, James B. Grotberg, and Shuichi Takayama, “Acoustically Detectable Cellular-Level Lung Injury Induced by Fluid Mechanical Stresses in Microfluidic Airway Systems,” Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2007, 104, 18886-18891; Featured in Nature and Lab on a Chip.
9. Dongeun Huh, Joong Hwan Bahng, Yibo Ling, Hsien-Hung Wei, Oliver D. Kripfgans, J. Brian Fowlkes, James B. Grotberg, and Shuichi Takayama, “Gravity-Driven Microfluidic Particle Sorting Device with Hydrodynamic Separation Amplification,” Anal. Chem. 2007, 79, 1369-1376.
8. Dongeun Huh, Yoko Kamotani, James B. Grotberg, and Shuichi Takayama, “Engineering pulmonary epithelia and their mechanical microenvironments” Micro- and Nanoengineering of the Cell Microenvironment: Technologies and Applications, Ed. Khademhosseini, 2007, 503-533.
7. Yu-suke Torisawa, Bor-han Chueh, Dongeun Huh, Poorna Ramamurthy, Therese M. Roth, Kate F. Barald, and Shuichi Takayama, “Efficient Formation of Uniform-Sized Embryoid Bodies Using a Compartmentalized Microchannel Device”, Lab Chip 2007, 7, 770-776.
6. Bor-han Chueh, Dongeun Huh, Christina R. Kyrtsos, Timothee Houssin, Nobuyuki Futai, and Shuichi Takayama, “Leakage-Free Bonding of Porous Membranes into Layered Microfluidic Array Systems,” Anal. Chem. 2007, 79, 3504-3508.
5. Andrés J. Calderón, Yunseok Heo, Dongeun Huh, Nobuyuki Futai, Shuichi Takayama, J. Brian Fowlkes, and Joseph L. Bull, “A Microfluidic Model of Bubble Lodging in Microvessel Bifurcations,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 2006, 89, Art. No. 244103.
4. Dongeun Huh, Wei Gu, Yoko Kamotani, James B. Grotberg, and Shuichi Takayama, “Microfluidics for Flow Cytometric Analysis of Cells and Particles,” Physiol. Meas. 2005, 26, R73-R98; Best Review published in Physiol. Meas. in 2005.
3. Yoko Kamotani, Dongeun Huh, Nobuyuki Futai, Shuichi Takayama, “At the Interface: Advanced Microfluidic Assays for Study of Cell Function,” Encyclopedia on BioMEMS and Biomedical Nanotechnology, Ed. Bhatia, S.; Desai, T. 2004, 55-78.
2. Dongeun Huh, Alan H. Tkaczyk, Joong-Hwan Bahng, Yu Chang, Hsien-Hung Wei, James, B. Grotberg, Chang-Jin Kim, Katsuo Kurabayashi, and Shuichi Takayama, "Reversible Switching of High-Speed Air-Liquid Two-Phase Flows Using Electrowetting-Assisted Flow-Pattern Change," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 14678-14679.
1. Dongeun Huh, Yi-Chung Tung, Hsien-Hung Wei, James B. Grotberg, Steven J. Skerlos, Katsuo Kurabayashi, and Shuichi Takayama, "Use of Air-Liquid Two-Phase Flow in Hydrophobic Microfluidic Channels for Disposable Flow Cytometers," Biomed. Microdev. 2002, 2, 141-149.