To synthesize gold nanoparticles and to synthesize purple protein fibers.
Gold Nanoparticle Synthesis
Five reaction mixtures were set up in epitubes. All reaction mixtures contained 100 μL of BSA (30 uM), 50 μL of HAuCl4 (4.17 mM), and 850 μL water. The five tubes were heated in a heat block at 80°C until a purple solution formed. With the exception of tube 1, the contents of all five tubes were then added to a refolding buffer (1 M Tris, pH 6.8).
- Tube 1 was removed from the heat block once a purple solution formed.
- Tube 2 was removed from the heat block and the contents were dumped into 1 mL of 1 M Tris (pH 6.8) at room temperature.
- Tube 3 was removed from the heat block and the contents were slowly transferred (using a Pasture pipette) to 1 mL room temperature of Tris buffer.
- Tube 4 was removed from the heat block and the contents were poured into 1 mL of Tris buffer at 80°C.
- Tube 5 was removed from the heat block and the contents were slowly added to 1 mL of buffer at 80°C.
Protein Fiber Formation
Another reaction was set up to form purple fibers by mixing 1 mL of BSA, 1 mL of HAuCl4 and 8.5 mL of water in a reaction tube. The reaction mixture was placed in an oven set to 78°C for two hours.
- Tube 1 - Light purple solution
- Tube 2 - The light purple solution became pink
- Tube 3 - The light purple solution became a light pink
- Tube 4 - The light purple solution became pink (darkest shade of pink)
- Tube 5 - The light purple solution became light pink.
- The reaction mixture that was expected to make protein fibers did not form any fibers. The solution was clear at the end of the reaction period.
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.