To make a film containing PVOH/glutaraldehyde, prepare 100% and 50% CEC clay with HdPh3P+, and to prepare Na-MT coated with iron oxide.
- 0.5 g PVOH was dissolved in 5 mL water on a heated hot plate.
- Once dissolved, 0.8% wt Glutaraldehyde solution (1 mL) was added.
- The gel was then poured into a plastic dish and was allowed to evaporate over the weekend.
100% CEC Clay Preparation
- HdPh3P+ = (1-Hexadecyl)triphenylphosphonium Bromide
- 0.92 meqv/g surfactant (HdPh3P+, 1.06 g) was added to 2 g of Na-MT in a solution of 25 mL ethanol and 25 mL water.
- The clay was left for a week to stir
50% CEC Clay Preparation
- Half as much surfactant as was used for the 100% CEC clay (0.53 g) was added to 2 g of Na-MT in a solution of 25 mL ethanol and 25 mL water.
- The clay was left to stir for a week.
Na-MT coated iron oxide preparation
100% CEC Clay Calculations
(0.92 meqv/g surfactant)·(2 g clay)·(1 eqv/1000 meqv)·(1 mol surfactant/1 eqv)·(567.62 g/mol surfactant) = 1.06 g surfactant
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.