(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 11:04, 7 November 2012
| Experimental Chemistry
|| Main project page|
Previous entry Next entry
To crosslink the prepared glutaraldehyde film, make additional glutaraldehyde film and glutaraldehyde film with PDMS, prepare 500 mL of 20 ppm CuSO solution and NaSO4 solution, and dry clays
Crosslinking Glutaraldehyde Films
- Allow the PVOH film containing glutaraldehyde to dry completely.
- Prepare a solution of 100 mL H2O, 2 mL concentrated H2SO4, and 20 g Na2SO4 in a 150 mL beaker. (solution is referred to as glutaraldehyde fixant)
- Place stir bar in beaker and a Buchner funnel top (cap) over the stir bar
- Heat solution to 70°C (temperature on hotplate should be about 160)
- Place film in solution for one hour.
- Prepare 100 mL of a 1% HCl solution in a 150 mL beaker. Place a stir bar and an inverted buchner funnel into beaker.
- Heat HCl solution to 70°C
- Remove film from glutaraldehyde fixant and rinse with distilled water.
- Place film into HCl solution for 30 minutes.
- Prepare 0.2 M sodium bicarbonate solution. (1.68 g in 100 mL)
- After 30 minutes, remove the film from the HCl solution and place into the sodium bicarbonate solution (at room temperature) for about 15 minutes.
- Use tweezers to remove the film from the sodium bicarbonate solution.
- Rinse film with deionized water and dry film on paper towel.
- Weigh film and record mass.
Preparing Glutaraldehyde Film
- 0.5 g PVOH was dissolved in 5 mL water on a heated hot plate.
- Once dissolved, 0.8% wt Glutaraldehyde solution (1 mL) was added.
- The gel was then poured into a plastic dish and was allowed to evaporate over the weekend.
Preparing PDMS Film
- Prepared as previous film but with 10% PVOH replaced with glutaraldehyde
- 0.4 g PVOH and 0.1 g PDMS were dissolved in 5 mL of water on a hot plate.
- Once dissolved, 1 mL of glutaraldehyde was added to the PVOH/PDMS
- The mixture was allowed to stir without heat for 3 minutes
- The film was poured into a dish and was left under the hood over the weekend
20 ppm CuSO4 Solution Preparation
- 500 mL of 20 ppm CuSO4 solution was prepared by adding 180.25
Mass of glutaraldehyde film after crosslinking = 0.8059 g
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.