To prepare new films containing phenol, to purify the quaternary ammonium salt prepared on Monday, and to take an NMR of the purified salt.
Phenol Film Calculations
Phenol Film Preparations
- Prepare the 10% film by dissolving 0.214 g phenol and 1 g PVOH in 10 mL water.
- Allow to dissolve on the hot plate, then add 1 mL glutaraldehyde, allow to stir for 2-3 minutes, then pour into an evaporating dish and allow to dissolve over the weekend.
- Prepare a stock solution of 0.214 g phenol in 10 mL water.
- Allow to dissolve.
Quaternary Ammonium Salt Purification
- Turn off the heat on the round bottom flask containing the reaction and remove from the heating mantle.
- Fill a beaker with 100 mL ethyl acetate.
- Place on ice.
- Add the product drop-wise
- Filter and collect precipitate.
No data was collected today.
- The 10% film solidified before glutaraldehyde could be added, so it was discarded. A 7% film with 50 mL water was made to test the effects of the higher concentration while ensuring that the film does not solidify.
- Two 1% films were prepared to test the effects of preparing in an Erlenmeyer flask vs. a beaker. The film prepared in the flask did not have bubbles, so this is the method that will be used from now on.
- The 0.01% film was not prepared, because this concentration seems too low to be effective.