To prepare agar plates and to prepare the starter culture of bacteria.
Starter Culture Preparation
- Make one solution of 1.875 g LB broth in 75 mL water and make 8 solutions of 1.25 g LB broth in 50 mL water
- Cap all with foil
- Autoclave solutions for one hour
- For the 75 mL solution, take out 4 mL broth and put into 4 test tubes
- To each tube, add bacteria by scraping frozen bacteria (BL21 E. coli) with a micropipette tip (should be about 5 uL). Do this in a sterile environment (flame)
- Place the tubes on a shaker at 37°C overnight.
Agar Plate Preparation
- Agar plate solution was prepared by adding 12.5 g LB and 10 g agar to 500 mL water.
- The plates were autoclaved for one hour
- Once the solution was cooled, 25 mL aliquots were poured into Petri dishes.
- This made about 20 agar plates
- The plates were left in the fridge to set
No data was collected today
- Because of snow day this week, bacteria were left on shaker until Thursday.
To Do List this Week
- Make additional quaternary ammonium salt films (wed or tues, Noah)
- Crosslink quaternary ammonium salt films (thurs/fri)
- Split the bacteria from the starter culture between the flasks for testing.
- Measure UV Vis of bacteria in starter culture before adding films
- Put films (cut in half) in flasks, then take periodic UV vis throughout the test.
- DSC data analysis