To inoculate the agar plates and the previously autoclaved LB broth for bacterial testing
LB broth large flask testing
- Remove the starter cultures from the shaker.
- Pipette one mL of bacteria into each of the 8 flasks containing 50 mL LB broth (already autoclaved)
- Take UV-Vis of each of the flasks
- Place the samples to be tested into the flasks of bacteria
- The films tested were PVOH alone, PVOH + glutaraldehyde, and PVOH + quaternary ammonium salt (all 4 films/percentages). All films were cut in half, so that half of the sample was used for this test and the other half was used for agar plate testing.
- One flask was left empty, to monitor the growth of bacteria without the presence of any films.
- The final flask contained the (S)-(-)-(3-Chloro-2-hydroxypropyl)trimethylammonium chloride salt. The mass of salt used was equal to half of the amount of salt used to make the highest percentage film (because the films are being cut in half) = 0.38 g. This mass was also used for agar plate testing.
- Place the flasks on a shaker at 37°C
- Every hour to hour and a half take UV-Vis measurements
Agar Plate Preparation
UV Vis Data
This area is for any observations or conclusions that you would like to note.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.