Take out the hydrogels to thaw, crosslink the quaternary ammonium salt films made monday (0.01%), make 1% QAS film, filter the 10% QAS, and look up concentrations for the next hydrogel reaction.
- The hydrogels were removed from the freezer at 10 am and were put back in at 2 pm.
- The quaternary ammonium salt films made on monday could not be crosslinked because they had not set.
- The 10% QAS film was filtered using a vacuum pump and a buchner funnel.
Quaternary Ammonium Salt Film Preparation
- Measure out two 1 g samples of the 1% QAS
- Place in beaker with 30 mL water. Dissolve on heat.
- Once dissolved, add 1 mL glutaraldehyde. Allow to stir for 3 minutes.
- Pour into plastic dish and allow to evaporate until Friday.
Next Hydrogel Reaction (Click Chemistry)
- PNAS article A chemical method for fast and sensitive detection of DNA synthesis in vivo by Adrian Salic and Timothy J. Mitchison was used to determine the ranges of concentrations for the reactants for the click reaction.
- The article uses 0.5 - 1 mM CuSO4, 1 - 100 μM fluorescent azide (in 10 - 100 mM DMSO stock), and 50 - 100 mM ascorbic acid (added last from a stock solution of 0.5 M)
- They reacted for 30 minutes at room temperature
- The dye should be in a sllution of DMSO
No data was collected today.