< User:Etienne Robillard | Notebook
References on Rhodopsin
- "Furthermore, we demonstrate that crosstalk between the Ras and Rho GTPase families is involved in cAMP-dependent processing of amyloid precursor protein (APP), a key protein in Alzheimer's disease ." http://www.wikigenes.org/e/ref/e/12819788.html
- "Photocaging involves the covalent addition of a small molecule effector (e.g., IPTG or doxycyline) onto another molecule (the cage) that upon addition of light such as UV, releases the effector molecule to perform a task. The cage group typically consists of aromatic rings, such as ortho-nitrobenzyl moieties, that undergoes photolytic cleavage to unmask the target molecule. This permits the spatiotemporal control of gene function upon light stimulation. The caging of IPTG, for instance, permits the temporal control of genes under the control of the Lac operator." 
- Evidences of EC 22.214.171.124 (CNP precursor) activity from Rhodopsin induced photoactivation in Drosophila flies: http://openwetware.org/wiki/BIO254:Phototransduction
- The Rhodopsin Cycle
- Processing of Visual Signals
- How We See: The First Steps of Human Vision
- GNAT2 guanine nucleotide binding protein (G protein), alpha transducing activity polypeptide 2 : A human protein implicated in visual memory, cognition, and perception of light-induced stimulus from rhodopsin-mediated promoter. (Best known as transducin) - Location (Human): Chromosome 1p13. Check also the OMIM entry here.
- http://youtu.be/IP4zsbemW8I : Beta-arrestins primer (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrestin and this paper.)
- Question 1: In the expression "blind as a bat", is the bat blindness a permanent or temporary phenomenon and how could you assert this is related to cGMP/ATP based phosphorylation of the Rhodopsin kinase?
- Answer: Temporary! The bat can recover its vision if the GABA receptor is cleaved from cAMP/ATP dependent competitive ligands, thus allowing GPCR based signal transduction to occur normally. [REACTOME]
- Notice also that the S1PR4 gene is a near-neighboor of the Cannabinoid receptors! (Hint hint)
Rhodopsin kinase phosphorylation notes
- Bi-directional cognitive memory addressing and high-frequency modulation through light activated Glycine/Chloride receptors (disassociative anesthesia): [pqid:1872897281/ 1]. 
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain