- Joining the domain
- Add the machine to your container.
- Get a temporary join account name and password.
- Log on to the machine as local administrator.
- Right click the My Computer icon.
- Select Properties.
- Click the Network Identification tab.
- Click the Properties button.
- Select the Member of Domain radio button.
- Type in: WIN.MIT.EDU (in all capitals).
- The next screen will prompt you to enter the WIN account name and password authorized to install machines in the domain. Enter the temporary join account name and password. Result: You will get a screen welcoming you to the domain.
- Reboot the machine for the changes to take effect.
- User profile setup:
- Optionally rename previous profile
- Give full permissions to the old profile to the new user account
- Let the user login
- Copy all files from the old profile to the new user profile
- Import Firefox profile/bookmarks
- Try running Office and other applications
- Make sure users don't store a lot of data on their desktop (synchronized at login and logout)
- Optionally add user's account to the local Administrators group
- To check Moira record for a hostname of IP adress:
athena% stella foo
athena% hostinfo foo
athena% nslookup foo
- To check container assigment:
athena% stella foo -lcn Machine: Container: Machines/pismere-laptops
- To add the machine "foo" to the container "test":
athena% stella foo -acn Machines/test
- Moira (available on UNIX Athena and WIN machines)
- /usr/athena/bin/moira (The container menu is available from the top level menu, currently it is choice number 12)
- Administrative Tools-> Moira Account Management
- mitch - examine and modify informtion about containers in Moira
athena% mitch Machines/BioEng/endy
- AD Container Management (available on WIN machines) - an MMC snap-in tool, normally found under the "Administrative Tools" menu, or invoked with the command adcontmgr.msc.
- To connect remotely or from non-Windows OS:
- must to set win password before connecting to home directory from mac/linux
mount -t cifs //win.mit.edu/dfs/profile/u /mnt/win -o user=username,domain=WIN.MIT.EDU
- MIT Windows Automatic Update Service: Advanced Installation and Configuration Instructions
- Operating System Maintenance
- From network at mit:
- Auto Hotfixer is a retired tool. We use WSUS to have replaced it. You don't need to make the change to autohotfixer when you switch to MIT WSUS. Machines in win.mit.edu should be all set for using MIT WSUS as long as you didn't make changes in your container to overwrite Windows Update settings.
- MIT Windows Automatic Update Service (WAUS)
- MIT Windows Automatic Update Service: Windows 2000 Domain Machines
- Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Configure Automatic Updates
- enabled|disabled|5 - local admin to choose the update/reboot behavior
- Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installations
- Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Specify intranet Microsoft update service location
- set intranet update service and statistics server to http://sus.mit.edu
Endy Lab OU
- Machine containers:
- User lists:
- To edit group policy for the machines in your OU (using Windows):
- run mmc from the command line
- Add a new snap in Group Policy Editor
- Browse to this: GP Bioeng/endylab/workstation
- make sure machine logins are restricted to endylab members
- add users to endy-admin list (default restrictions: can't change the system time (viewing calendar), cant copy files to the C drive)
- is it possible to change the default set of rights for regular user accounts?
- Restricted Groups - to restrict access to the machines
- Status as of 2006-12-19
- Goal is to keep things running as they are now (snapshots and backups); space should not be a problem but there is still no budget and warranty on the filers already ran out.
- Bionet will move to WIN.MIT.EDU in late January or early February
- The win.mit.edu Domain
- Academic Computing - Windows Support
- Windows Server Platforms at MIT
- Windows Domain win.mit.edu Statistics
- Report a bug or problem with a win.mit.edu machine
- Logon procedure
- User and container admin tasks (delete machine, change AD password, etc)
- RIS - Remote Installation Service
- MITnet DHCP will route PXE requests to WIN.MIT.EDU – RIS