1. Meyer, S., Chappell, J., Sankar, S., Chew, R. and Lucks, J.B. (2016) Improving fold activation of small transcription activating RNAs (STARs) with rational RNA engineering strategies. Biotechnology and bioengineering, 113, 216-225.
2. Chappell, J., Watters, K.E., Takahashi, M.K. and Lucks, J.B. (2015) A renaissance in RNA synthetic biology: new mechanisms, applications and tools for the future. Current opinion in chemical biology, 28, 47-56.
3. Takahashi, M.K., Hayes, C.A., Chappell, J., Sun, Z.Z., Murray, R.M., Noireaux, V. and Lucks, J.B. (2015) Characterizing and prototyping genetic networks with cell-free transcription-translation reactions. Methods, 86, 60-72.
4. Chappell, J., Takahashi, M.K. and Lucks, J.B. (2015) Creating small transcription activating RNAs. Nature chemical biology, 11, 214-220. † Highlighted in Nature Methods (doi:10.1038/nmeth.3354) and in commentary on Science Daily.
5. Takahashi, M.K., Chappell, J., Hayes, C.A., Sun, Z.Z., Kim, J., Singhal, V., Spring, K.J., Al-Khabouri, S., Fall, C.P., Noireaux, V., Murray, R.M. and Lucks, J.B. (2015) Rapidly characterizing the fast dynamics of RNA genetic circuitry with cell-free transcription-translation (TX-TL) systems. ACS synthetic biology, 4, 503-515. † Featured on the cover.
6. Chappell, J., Takahashi, M.K., Meyer, S., Loughrey, D., Watters, K.E. and Lucks, J.B. (2013) The centrality of RNA for engineering gene expression. Biotechnology journal, 8, 1379-1395.
7. Chappell, J., Jensen, K. and Freemont, P.S. (2013) Validation of an entirely in vitro approach for rapid prototyping of DNA regulatory elements for synthetic biology. Nucleic acids research, 41, 3471-3481. † Highlighted in commentary on Science Daily.
8. Chappell, J. and Freemont, P.S. (2013) In vivo and in vitro characterization of sigma70 constitutive promoters by real-time PCR and fluorescent measurements. Methods in molecular biology, 1073, 61-74.
9. Chappell, J. and Freemont, P.S. (2011). Synthetic biology – A new generation of biofilm biosensors. The Science and Applications of Synthetic and Systems Biology, 8, 159–178.
10. Gulati, S., Rouilly, V., Niu, X.,Chappell, J., Kitney, R.I., Edel, J.B., Freemont, P.S. and deMello, A.J. (2009) Opportunities for microfluidic technologies in synthetic biology. Journal of the Royal Society interface, 6, 493-506.