User:Matthew A. Jones
|Line 21:||Line 21:|
<small>Part of the ''Arabidopsis'' Circadian Clock. From
<small>Part of the ''Arabidopsis'' Circadian Clock. From </small>
Revision as of 14:28, 16 May 2009
1002 Life Sciences Addition,
One Shields Avenue,
Davis, CA 95616
The circadian clock acts to optimise the cellular behaviour of an organism so that it corresponds with the predictable environmental variation induced by the diurnal cycle. Whilst extensive genetic analyses have identified multiple genes involved in the plant circadian clock the precise mechanism by which these factors interact remains unclear. My current work involves characterisation of additional components of the plant circadian clock which will provide further insight into the workings of the central oscillator.
Part of the Arabidopsis Circadian Clock. From []
My graduate studies focused upon the plant blue light photoreceptor phototropin. Phototropin light sensitivity is derived from the action of two highly conserved regions known as LOV domains which upon light absorption induce activity of an integral serine/threonine kinase. My project examined the mechanism by which the LOV domains regulate kinase activity. I was able to show that the introduction of a point mutation within the second LOV domain was sufficient to mitigate light-mediated phototropin kinase activation.
- 2001-2004, B.A. Biological Sciences, The Queen's College, University of Oxford, UK
Awards and Scholarships
- 2004-2007 Sainsbury Plant Science PhD Studentship Gatsby Charitable Foundation
- 2003-2004 Michel Exhibition The Queen's College
- Jones MA. Entrainment of the Arabidopsis Circadian Clock. J Plant Biol In Press []
- Sullivan S, Thomson CE, Lamont DJ, Jones MA and Christie JM. In Vivo Phosphorylation Site Mapping and Functional Characterization of Arabidopsis Phototropin 1. Mol Plant 2008 1: 178-194 []
- Jones MA and Christie JM. Phototropin Receptor Kinase Activation by Blue Light. Plant Signaling and Behavior Jan 2008; 3(1) 44-46 
- Jones MA, Feeney KA, Kelly SM, and Christie JM. . pmid:17164248.