I'm currently a PhD candidate in the department of Biomolecular Medicine at Imperial College London (UK) in Prof. Elaine Holmes lab, my co-supervisors are Prof. Jeremy Nicholson (Imperial College) and Johan Trygg (Umeå University).
My PhD research activities are in the area of Metabolite profiling, Chemometrics and Statistical pattern recognition, with a focus on development and application of statistical pattern recognition methods for the analysis of ‘Omics’ data in biology, e.g. transcriptomics, proteomics and metabonomics.
I have a general interest in supervised learning and statistical data analysis methods, with a focus on modeling of biological data. I'm particularly interested in methods and strategies for data integration and quantitative approaches to biological research in general.
Recent research activities include:
- Discriminant analysis
- Kernel based methods for pattern analysis
- Integrated modeling of data from multiple analytical platforms
- Modeling of short time series data sets
Other science topic I'm interested in:
- Statistical Experimental Design
- Automation and standardization of experimental biology including data analysis and representation of biological data
- Synthetic biology
- Open source / access to software and information
- Mattias Rantalainen§, Max Bylesjo§, Olivier Cloarec,Jeremy K Nicholson, Elaine Holmes, Johan Trygg, Kernel-based orthogonal projections to latent structures (K-OPLS), J Chemometrics, 2007, in press, §Equal contribution
- Bylesjö M§, Rantalainen M§, Cloarec O, Nicholson J K, Holmes E, Trygg J. OPLS discriminant analysis: combining the strengths of PLS-DA and SIMCA classification. J Chemometrics, 2006,§Equal contribution
- Rantalainen, M.; Cloarec, O.; Beckonert, O.; Wilson, I. D.; Jackson, D.; Tonge, R.; Rowlinson, R.; Rayner, S.; Nickson, J.; Wilkinson, R. W.; Mills, J. D.; Trygg, J.; Nicholson, J. K.; Holmes, E. J,Statistically integrated metabonomic-proteomic studies on a human prostate cancer xenograft model in mice, Proteome Res 2006, 5, 2642-2655.
- R. E. Williams, E. M. Lenz, M. Rantalainen, I. D. Wilson, The comparative metabonomics of age-related changes in the urinary composition of male Wistar-derived and Zucker (fa/fa) obese rats, Mol. BioSyst., 2006, (3-4),193-202
- R. E. Williams, E. M. Lenz, J. S. Lowden, M. Rantalainen, I. D. Wilson, The metabonomics of aging and development in the rat: an investigation into the effect of age on the profile of endogenous metabolites in the urine of male rats using 1H NMR and HPLC-TOF MS, Mol. Biosyst., 2005, (2),166-175
Department of Biomolecular Medicine
Division of Surgery, Oncology, Reproductive Biology and Anaesthetics (SORA)
Faculty of Medicine >br> Imperial College of Sciences, Technology and Medicine
Sir Alexander Fleming Building
London SW7 2AZ
mattias dot rantalainen at imperial dot ac dot uk