Michael D. Wilson, PhD
2012 - present : Scientist, Hospital For Sick Children
2009 - 2012 : Clare Hall Research Fellow University of Cambridge
2007 - 2012 : Postdoctoral Fellow in Duncan Odom's laboratory at the Cambridge Research Institute
2005 - 2007 : Postdoctoral work with Perry Howard, Department of Biochemistry, University of Victoria.
2002 - 2003 : Visiting scientist in Andras Nagy's laboratory
1998 - 2005 : Doctoral student in Ben Koop's molecular evolution group Koop lab at the Centre for Biomedical Research at University of Victoria.
Evolution of transcriptional control in mammals
An experimental and global comparison of core transcriptional regulatory programs in human to other model organisms will provide insight into the transcription factor binding events that are essential for liver function in mammals. We are detecting evolutionarily conserved regulatory protein binding events and their underlying DNA sequence and are also identifying novel, species-specific binding events. By identifying transcriptional regulatory networks in healthy tissue, we can make comparisons to cancerous, damaged or developing tissues.
EducationPhD, Department of Biology, University of Victoria.
B.Sc., University of Victoria. Biochemistry and Hispanic studies.
- Laudadio I, Manfroid I, Achouri Y, Schmidt D, Wilson MD, Cordi S, Thorrez L, Knoops L, Jacquemin P, Schuit F, Pierreux CE, Odom DT, Peers B, Lemaigre FPA Feedback Loop Between The Liver-Enriched Transcription Factor Network and Mir-122 Controls Hepatocyte Differentiation. Gastroenterology. 2011 Sep 12.
- Kutter C, Brown GD, Gonçalves A, Wilson MD, Watt S, Brazma A, White RJ, Odom DT.Pol III binding in six mammals shows conservation among amino acid isotypes despite divergence among tRNA genes.Nat Genet. 2011 Aug 28;43(10):948-55. doi: 10.1038/ng.906.
- Tardif S*, Wilson MD*, Wagner R, Hunt P, Gertsenstein M, Nagy A, Lobe C, Koop BF, Hardy DM: Zonadhesin is essential for species specificity of sperm adhesion to the egg zona pellucida. J Biol Chem 2010, 285:24863-2487010.1074/jbc.M110.123125.
- Schmidt D*, Wilson MD*, Ballester B*, Schwalie PC, Brown GD, Marshall A, Kutter C, Watt S, Martinez-Jimenez CP, Mackay S, Talianidis I, Flicek P, Odom DT: Five-vertebrate ChIP-seq reveals the evolutionary dynamics of transcription factor binding. Science 2010, 328:1036-104010.1126/science.1186176.
- Wu S, Wilson MD, Busby ER, Isaac ER, Sherwood NM: Disruption of the Single Copy Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Receptor in Mice by Gene Trap: Severe Reduction of Reproductive Organs and Functions in Developing and Adult Mice. Endocrinology 2010, 151:1142-115210.1210/en.2009-0598.
- Wilson MD, Odom DT: Evolution of transcriptional control in mammals. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2009, 19:579-58510.1016/j.gde.2009.10.003.
- Schmidt D, Wilson MD, Spyrou C, Brown GD, Hadfield J, Odom DT: ChIP-seq: using high-throughput sequencing to discover protein-DNA interactions. Methods 2009, 48:240-24810.1016/j.ymeth.2009.03.001.
- Wilson MD*, Barbosa-Morais NL*, Schmidt D, Conboy CM, Vanes L, Tybulewicz VLJ, Fisher EMC, Tavaré S, Odom DT: Species-specific transcription in mice carrying human chromosome 21. Science 2008, 322:434-43810.1126/science.1160930.
- Wilson MD, Wang D, Wagner R, Breyssens H, Gertsenstein M, Lobe C, Lu X, Nagy A, Burke RD, Koop BF, Howard PL: ARS2 is a conserved eukaryotic gene essential for early mammalian development. Mol Cell Biol 2008, 28:1503-151410.1128/MCB.01565-07.
- Schmidt D*, Stark R*, Wilson MD, Brown GD, Odom DT: Genome-scale validation of deep-sequencing libraries. PLoS ONE 2008, 3:e371310.1371/journal.pone.0003713.
- Conboy CM, Spyrou C, Thorne NP, Wade EJ, Barbosa-Morais NL, Wilson MD, Bhattacharjee A, Young RA, Tavaré S, Lees JA, Odom DT: Cell cycle genes are the evolutionarily conserved targets of the E2F4 transcription factor. PLoS ONE 2007, 2:e106110.1371/journal.pone.0001061.
- Wilson MD, Cheung J, Martindale DW, Scherer SW, Koop BF: Comparative analysis of the paired immunoglobulin-like receptor (PILR) locus in six mammalian genomes: duplication, conversion, and the birth of new genes. Physiol Genomics 2006, 27:201-21810.1152/physiolgenomics.00284.2005.
- Hunt P, Wilson M, Schalburg von K, Davidson W, Ben Koop: Expression and genomic organization of zonadhesin-like genes in three species of fish give insight into the evolutionary history of a mosaic protein. BMC Genomics 2005, 6:16510.1186/1471-2164-6-165.
- Wen XY, Hegele RA, Wang J, Wang DY, Cheung J, Wilson M, Yahyapour M, Bai Y, Zhuang L, Skaug J, Young TK, Connelly PW, Koop BF, Tsui LC, Stewart AK.Identification of a novel lipase gene mutated in lpd mice with hypertriglyceridemia and associated with dyslipidemia in humans. Hum Mol Genet. 2003 May 15;12(10):1131-43.
- Scherer SW et al.: Human chromosome 7: DNA sequence and biology. Science 2003, 300:767-77210.1126/science.1083423.
- Cheung J, Wilson MD, Zhang J, Khaja R, MacDonald JR, Heng HHQ, Koop BF, Scherer SW: Recent segmental and gene duplications in the mouse genome. Genome Biol 2003, 4:R4710.1186/gb-2003-4-8-r47.
- Shuttleworth TL, Wilson MD, Wicklow BA, Wilkins JA, Triggs-Raine BL: Characterization of the murine hyaluronidase gene region reveals complex organization and cotranscription of Hyal1 with downstream genes, Fus2 and Hyal3. J Biol Chem 2002, 277:23008-2301810.1074/jbc.M108991200.
- Wilson M, Ruttan C, Koop B, Glickman B: ERCC1: A comparative genomic perspective. Environ Mol Mutagen 2001, 38:209-215.
- Wilson M, Riemer C, Martindale D, Schnupf P, Boright A, Cheung T, Hardy D, Schwartz S, Scherer S, Tsui L, Miller W, Koop B: Comparative analysis of the gene-dense ACHE/TFR2 region on human chromosome 7q22 with the orthologous region on mouse chromosome 5. Nucleic Acids Res 2001, 29:1352-1365.
- Martindale DW, Wilson MD, Wang D, Burke RD, Chen X, Duronio V, Koop BF: Comparative genomic sequence analysis of the Williams syndrome region (LIMK1-RFC2) of human chromosome 7q11.23. Mamm Genome 2000, 11:890-898.
- Brown G, Martindale D, Wilson MD, Koop BF. Mouse and human DNA sequence comparisons: further evidence for a mosaic model of genomic evolution. In Sankoff D, Nadeau JH, eds. Comparative Genomics: Empirical and Analytical Approaches to Gene Order Dynamics, Map Alignment and the Evolution of Gene Families. Volume 1 of Series in Computational Biology. Dordrecht, NL: Kluwer Academic Press; 2000.
'*' co-first authors