- Analyze Au/BSA solutions made on 2012/10/03 with atomic absorption.
- Calculate activity of HRP from the UV-vis data obtained from the HRP-AAP assay on 2012/09/18 and 2012/09/19.
Atomic Absorption of Au/BSA Solutions
- The AA was calibrated with standard solutions at concentrations of 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 40 ppm made by Dr. Miller on 2012/10/08 and blanked with 1 N HCl.
- Deionized water was run through the AA between samples.
- Au/BSA solutions containing fibers (note which ratios here) were filtered with dry x μM pore-size nylon filter paper into a clean, dry flask. The filtrate was then decanted into a Falcon tube for testing.
- Note that the fibers on the filter paper were not washed. The fibers on the filter paper were dark purple in color.
- Colored solutions (note ratios here) containing fiber produced clear filtrate after being filtered and the AA detected that they contained little to no gold (note ppm values here). This indicates that either the gold was of large enough size to be filtered by the filter paper, or that the pores in the filter paper were blocked with fibers and thus did not filter the gold. It would be incorrect to assume that the solutions did not contain any free gold, as literature states that the purple color of the solutions before filtering is
due to the optical properties of gold nanoparticles.