- Calculate mass of AgNO3 necessary to achieve 95% CEC with Laponite (LMT).
- Begin ion exchange reaction with AgNO3 and LMT.
MW AgNO3: 169.87 g/mol
MW Ag+: 107.86 g/mol
CEC Laponite: 55 meqv/100 g
0.3 g LMT × (55 meqv/100 g LMT) × (1 mol Ag+/1000 meqv) × (107.86 g Ag+/1 mol Ag+) × (1 mol Ag+/1 mol AgNO3) × (1 mol AgNO3/169.87 g AgNO3) × 95% = 0.00009953 g AgNO3
Laponite-Ag+ Ion Exchange
- Place 0.3 g Laponite and 0.0001 g AgNO3 in a clean, dry 50-mL Erlenmeyer flask with a stir bar.
- Pour in 10 mL of (50:50) H2O:EtOH, i.e. 5 mL of H2O and 5 mL of EtOH.
- Cover and cap the flask with aluminum foil.
- Stir at room temperature for 24 h.
- Theoretical mass Laponite: 0.3 g
- Actual mass Laponite: 0.30038 g
- Theoretical mass AgNO3: 0.00010 g
- Actual mass AgNO3: 0.00101 g
- Observations: The solution became opaque and white in color after all components were added.