- Prepare solutions to run new PVOH based reactions
- First PVOH reaction will be the synthesis of polyvinyl acetate
- Second PVOH reaction will be the attachment of 5-(4,6-Dichlorotriazinyl)Aminofluorescein which will be referred to as 5-DTAF
- Perform all calculations necessary for future PVOH reactions
General Formula for reactions
Polyvinyl alcohol + [HAc]→Polyvinyl acetate
General Protocol for Polyvinyl acetate synthesis
- For a 1:1 ratio of polyvinyl alcohol OH groups to polyvinyl acetate dissolve ~1g PVOH inH2O
- Add ~1.36g HAc. Add ~2 drops of HCl to reaction mixture to catalyze reaction.
- Heat the reaction mixture to 40°C.
- Allow the reaction to stir for 1 hour
- Add sodium bicarbonate solution to the reaction mixture(titrate the reaction)
- Rotavap the remaining reaction mixture
- Overall, want to determine if have 1g of material how many moles of -OH groups. Once that is determined, will want to determine how many moles of -OH was reacted after the reaction.
Number of moles of OH groups in 1g PVOH:
MW of repeating polyvinyl alcohol unit [C2H3OH]: 44.06g/mol
Polyvinyl alcohol repeating unit picture
1gPVOH(1mol PVOH unit/44.06g) x (1mol OH/1mol PVOH unit)= 0.022696 mol OH/g
Dye attachment calculations:
- Want to react .01% of the OH groups with the dye
MW 5-DTAF dye: 495.28g/mol
(0.0227mol OH/g) x (.0001)= 2.27x10-6 moles dye
2.27x10-6 moles dye x(495.28g dye/1mol dye)=0.001124g dye