(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 22:43, 3 February 2014
| Project name
|| Main project page|
Previous entry Next entry
- Prepare a new BSA-Magnetite solution without any gold in order to synthesize magnetite nanoparticles which have been incorporated into the BSA fibers.
- Analyze the AuNP-BSA and Magnetite-AuNP-BSA solutions which were prepared on 01/28/2014 using UV-Vis spectroscopy
- We adopted a different method of preparation on this day in order to compare the effectiveness between the technique of today and yesterday. This protocol was adopted from the following reference [].
- Preparation of Magnetite-BSA solution.
- The Following stock solutions were prepared using deionized water.
- A 1M stock solution of KOH in a 10mL volumetric flask
- A 0.8M stock solution of KNO3 in a 50mL volumetric flask.
- A 0.3M stock solution of FeSO4*7H2O in a 10mL volumetric flask.
- Add the appropriate volume of BSA and gold in a 10mL test tube to obtain the desired ratio of BSA:Au. Adjust levels so that the total volume of the solution does not exceed 5mL at this time.
- Add the appropriate volume of FeSO4*7H2O to each test tube so that the solution has a concentration of 0.03M FeSO4*7H2O.
- Add the appropriate volume of KOH to each test tube so that the solution has a concentration of 0.1M KOH.
- Add the appropriate volume of KNO3 to each test tube so that the solution has a concentration of 0.4M KNO3.
- Add the necessary amount of water into the flask in order to bring the solution up to 5mL in volume. Seal the round bottom flask with a septum and make sure that it is secure.
- Use a Schlenk Line apparatus to funnel nitrogen gas into the solution thereby de-gassing it. Conduct this process at room temperatue for 5 minutes prior to heating the magnetite-BSA solution in a hot water bath at 90°C for 4 hours. Maintain a continuous flow of nitrogen gas throughout the mixture during this time.
- Note: A previously prepared stock solution of 15mM BSA was used for the preparation.
Table 1. Preparation of BSA:MagnetiteNP solution
||concentration BSA (M)
||volume of BSA added (mL)
||amount of FeSO4 added(mL)
||amount of KOH added (mL)
||amount of KNO3 added (mL)
||volume Water added (mL)
Table 2. Preparation of FeSO4*7H2O stock solution
|Preparation of FeSO4 stock
| Molecular Weight (g/mol)||278.01
| volume stock (L)||0.01
| Concentration (M)||0.3
Table 3. Preparation of KOH stock solution
|Preparation of KOH stock
| Molecular Weight (g/mol)||56.11
| volume stock (L)||0.01
| Concentration (M)||0.999108893
Table 4. Preparation of KNO3 stock solution
|Preparation of KNO3
| Molecular Weight (g/mol)||101.1
| volume stock (L)||0.05
| Concentration (M)||0.8
- Please see Moira's Notebook for the procedure used for UV-Vis and the collected absorbed spectra.
Observations & Notes