- Stay SAFE!
- Be CONSIDERATE of others (their stuff, needs, space, etc)
- Always ASK SOMEONE if you’re not sure about something.
- THINK before you do.
- CLEAN UP after yourself.
- Maintain a CLEAN workspace.
- Maintain STERILE technique.
- ASK someone before you move their stuff.
- BALANCE the centrifuges.
- ASK SOMEONE how to use a piece of equipment if you haven’t used it before.
- If you use the rotator in the 37C room, remember to TURN IT BACK ON
- CLOSE refrigerator doors!!
- Use YOUR OWN master stocks of chemicals and supplies; we’ll tell you which other supplies you’re allowed to use.
- READ PROTOCOLS before you attempt them.
- Keep any proteins ( endonucleases, ligase, Taq supermix) always ON ICE
- CHANGE TIPS between aliquots of important stocks.
- WEAR GLOVES when working w/ dangerous/sensitive chemicals (phenol, RNA, etc).
- Keep a good LAB NOTEBOOK so you know what you did.
- LABEL TUBES
- Store GLYCEROLS appropriately
- If you did something wrong, CONFESS and tell someone. You won’t get in trouble for accidents.
- Don’t EVER COMPROMISE SAFETY!
- Don’t Be too shy to ASK QUESTIONS
- Don’t Start something without THINKING about what you’re doing
- Don’t Use a MACHINE without having received training on it.
- Don’t POUR hazardous or unknown chemicals down the sink.
- Don’t Leave a door to a cold or warm room OPEN.
- Don’t IGNORE equipment alarms
- Don’t USE master stocks other than your own without permission.
- Don’t Leave your stuff lying around in other people’s areas.
- Don’t EAT/DRINK in lab (go to the tea room to eat lunch and hang out).
- Don’t PLAY MUSIC out loud (not everyone likes your taste).
- Don’t DATE people you work with.*
* May occasionally result in marriage.