First notebook post
The lab I am working for is participating in open notebook science. We were asked to create online lab notebooks, and were given two sites to choose from -- Wordpress and Openwetware. I chose Openwetware.
- Openwetware (unlike Wordpress) is designed specifically for use as a lab notebook.
- There are many ways to customize and format a personal notebook.
- By using Openwetware for a lab notebook, I will be adding mine to a clearly defined, pre-existing directory of other lab notebooks at research institutions, making it easier for my notebook to be found by others who are interested in similar research.
- The site seems more professional and scientific than Wordpress.
To the casual computer user, Openwetware may be a bit overwhelming.
- The editing and publishing of posts in Openwetware is nowhere near as simple as that of Wordpress.
- Unlike Wordpress or Tumblr, posting on Openwetware is not easily done through a cellphone browser or app.
- The site's interface at first glance appears to be a cluttered mess of links and text, which might deter someone from clicking though them to get to a lab notebook.
Sarah Labianca 12:42, 8 February 2012 (EST):